Routine De-Greasing Aluminum Side-Plated Reels?

Started by Ken_D, August 07, 2013, 05:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

Good day. I did a trial run today, with a really gummed up 6500 Abu. The usual way I'd conquer a reel this bad, would have been to hit it with solvent, or diesel fuel, brush it on, then rinse off the solvent, in some blue Dawn, or some such. Then attack with a scrub brush to pick off the missed spots.

As any Abu maniac will tell you, when doing somebody else's reel, they can get pretty cruddy, especially under the thumb rest, in the frame corners where they overlube the worm, and down on the foot.

Being somebody else's reel, who obviously could care less about looks, I took a chance. And this one time, it worked pretty good.  I used hot tap water, with two scoops (scoop came with the product) of that stuff called Oxy-Clean. I did not feel like breaking out the solvent, and its resulting odour, splash, etc.

Wow...after a mere 10 minute soak, and a shake, 98% of the goop was gone, and the anodizing looked to be OK.  I'll experiment with less Oxy, now that I know it works.

Bryan Young

Awesome Ken.  OxiClean is supposed to be non-harmful...whatever that means.  I'll give it a try.  wonder how will it will do with a sonic cleaner as the solution?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ken_D

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 07, 2013, 05:40:18 PM
Awesome Ken.  OxiClean is supposed to be non-harmful...whatever that means.  I'll give it a try.  wonder how will it will do with a sonic cleaner as the solution?

Hi, Bryan.... That's my next trial. I just got my 1/2 gallon u/s cleaner in.
I was concerned about the anodizing, but this silver model Abu C3 and the frame came out no damage.  As to other colours, too soon to tell. I do know that the red plated ones get pitted and dull from roe juice, and using just a brush and blue Dawn dish soap, remain dull where the roe sat.

Oxy Clean seems to be an efficient alternative to Simple Green. I tried the SG in various concentrations, and could never get it to work like the oxy did.   

Joel.B

I use a wee bit of blue Dawn, WHite Vinegar and hot water in my sonic cleaner- for everything from ancient grease to green corrosion

most stuff comes off in a few minutes

Ken_D

Using in the ultrasonic cleaner is not a good idea. The stuff aerates to the point of being like whipping cream, overflowing the machine, and attacking the anodizing I suspect from either the concentration I picked, or the
assault from the u/s bubbles.

It could also be a factor of the anodizing not being overly strong...it was a blue 65C4. No worries... I'll use the product here and there as it works very well in gunk removal on those rubber paddle handles, etc.

Bryan Young

Thanks Joel and Ken.  Now I just got to get over to Alan's to pick up that ultrasonic cleaner he's been asking me to pick up for the last 3 years (I keep forgetting to take it with me).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

T Rad

Guys, I know this is an old post but am just getting in on a lot of things. Mostly reading and trying to learn. With the Abu 60's through 80's models, is there anything especially never, ever, ever, to avoid in cleaning. I have used carb cleaner, Dawn, electronic parts cleaner, wd-40, simple green, etc. With some cleanings I seem to get spots in the red, green, etc coatings on the old Abus. Most of the folks just want them to work again. I clean them for free and happy to do it. Most of the old reels just need a good cleaning and polishing with a Dremel to work great. Wear in pawls and level winds is a problem but often can be worked around with spare parts from old junkers.

I want the reels to both work and look as good as possible! The look on someone's face that couldn't afford a new one or wants Daddy or Grandaddy's old reel to work again is payment enough. So far, a lot of  Abus, an old Ted Williams, a few BPS outfits, and a couple of old Pfleuger cork arbors is about the limit of my experience if you don't count spinning reels and the occasional old spincast.
"The one who thinks he knows a thing does not yet know it as he should."-- The Apostle Paul. "Illegitimis non carborundum." — General Joseph Stillwell

redsetta

G'day and welcome T Rad,
Be careful with carb cleaner.
It's a great product, particularly for bearings - I use it daily.
However, it's highly flammable and quite toxic, so best sprayed outside (and most definitely away from the eyes).
It'll also damage paint, plastic and rubber.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

T Rad

Indeed! Thanks, Justin. I use the carb cleaner just for metallic parts and outside, like you said. I guess my question really should have read, what are the "it sounds like a good idea but we're telling you, don't do it!" types of things. I don't want to mess up anyone's pride and joy! Always wished I could afford a trout fishing trip down your way! T Rad
"The one who thinks he knows a thing does not yet know it as he should."-- The Apostle Paul. "Illegitimis non carborundum." — General Joseph Stillwell

redsetta

I hope it comes together for you one day - there's some great freshwater fishing here.
Here's a quick trip from a couple of years back:
PS Regarding your question, don't be tempted to use steel wool on frames, salt corrosion etc.
It'll remove the build-up, but will also scratch the metal (often imperceptibly) and become a real problem in the future.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

T Rad

Wow! Great pics and beautiful scenery! Reminds me of the five years I lived in Medford, Oregon and the great fishing in the trout streams there and for salmon over on the coast! Thanks for the info. 8)