Started by garking84, August 08, 2013, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garking84

Keta, im from south Texas I'll be doing my fishing at south padre island

Keta

Quote from: garking84 on August 08, 2013, 09:49:21 PM
Keta, im from south Texas I'll be doing my fishing at south padre island

Thanks, use your reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I prefer the cannon! ;D Plus I love collecting reels and rebuilding them and fishing them. Sounds like your tank is tricked out saltydog!
Not trying do cause any discontent. This is just how I roll. ;)
Life is Good!

Cone

If the 113h has brass gears , gear sleeves and frame the max is about 15 lbs. Above that gears may strip. Gear sleeves may round off. Frames may torque or fail. Sal and Dominick have proven with the ss upgrades and a good frame they can be pushed beyond 20. The faster you can get a shark to the beach the better shape he will be in at release.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

saltydog

No discontent, I love rebuilding the big boys too, but after my cancer surgery I have gone to tanking smaller reels for myself and others. I know that getting them in quick is paramount but you just don't cam shaft a 10+ foot shark with any tackle, not even a 16/0 penn. I would load that reel with 40# mono about 12# of drag and fish it till you either tank it or go to the monster gear. At least with a 4/0 you can still cast it a pretty good ways when it is too rough to get baits out, casting a 12/0 or bigger is well IMPOSSIBLE! ;D Plus all of my shark fishing is in south Texas and most of all the sharks we get, unless you go for them is under 9' so just use what you can handle and afford. Heck this summer and next we are even trying to break a few line class records from the beach on 20 to 50 pound class line, wish us luck. We came close to the 30# line class Blacktip earlier this year, only 3 pounds, almost there.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Cone

I don't disagree Salty. I've caught some big sharks that came in easily and some that couldn't be stopped. In a boat you can chase them and recover enough line and even beat them. On the beach, its oh no I'm spooled. A few good runs will beat most though. If you can ever get em turned. Good luck! Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

saltydog

I agree if you can turn there head you can beat them, but then I have stood on a beach when I was younger and watched my 16/0 go empty without even slowing down.Get more line and go again. ::)
MacArthur

Bunnlevel Sharker

I whup big rays on my 4/0w, fight harder than any 6ft shark. Biggest shark we've caught on it was a 6' spinner my friend caught on it when I was pre occupied with a important situation on down the pier ;)
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

I'll tell you one thing! >:(
This is an Awesome Thread! ;D I'm glad to see you guys talking about catching Sharks!
This is my new Hobby and Passion. I really like this site more than any of the other ones out there.
The posts are genuine and sometimes Funny, but it is the comradery that is felt between us that makes it Awesome!
Hats off to you my Brothers!! ;)
Especially you Alan! ;D
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Mr.Alan catches all his sharks and big tuna on a daiwa sweep fire with 200lb braid lol
Grayson Lanier

day0ne

Last week I landed a 150-170lb sandbar shark on an Accurate 270 with 50lb braid on a 40lb Accurate rod. I won't say it was fun but it can be done. I was offshore and not on a beach, however, the boat was anchored. For reference, the 270 is about the size of an MX, or a wide SX Avet but more drag.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

saltydog

I love to still catch sharks and will for as long as I can.They are what I cut my big game teeth on in south Floridia 36 years ago and I still love there tenacity.
MacArthur

Alto Mare

Quote from: saltydog on August 08, 2013, 09:45:57 PM
Well if you want to hold up 15+ pounds of rod go ahead but I have rediscovered the use of smaller stronger better gear. A 113h tanked out will give any Tiger, Hammer, or Bull a run for his money. My 113h has a full size aluminum frame, ss gears ,  ss gear sleave , wire line spool, ss double dogs, ss yoke, and a 7+1 drag stack with thinned washers, she holds 1000 yards of 80# spectra and a short 50 yard 80# topshot .She also gets 32# 0f drag when almost locked down a puts out a steady 25# as long as I can take it. Now I used to use those monster reels for those 500+ yard drops but I found I catch just as many with short 100 yarders  as I did with the longer ones but each to his own.My biggest shark on my 113H is  10' Hammer and a 9' Bull. I know alot of guys who use stock 4/0 and still land 10+ footers , but I will admit we've been doin this for 35+ years too. Now when I was younger I had 16/0,14/0, 12/0 and a lot of 10/ and 9/0 but hey I'm 30+ years older now and have seen what finesse and a little knowledge can do. You don't have to bring a cannon to a gunfight you just have to have better aim. ;D
You keep talking when you were young....you're still a kid ::), some of us here are almost double your age, some almost tripled, and still tough as nail ;D
Btw, after your comment I need to clarify what I said earlier:
Pescachaser might be the only member at the moment holding a 4/0 that can dish out 30lbs. of drag, using (4) 1.3mm Carbon Fiber washers...... That's better ;D
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Do you have the hex gear in Dom's Tank?
You say four 1.3 washers. How is this different from the Penn HT-100 5 Stack kit? (113hsp)
What are you not telling us Sal? Ole Buddy. ;)
Life is Good!

Cone

SH, Sal already told everyone here on page 28.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3083.405   Bob