Pen n or Avet

Started by turboal, August 08, 2013, 05:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboal

A penn 30T 2spd or a Avet 4/0 EXW 2spd witch one would you choose and why ?

conchydong

Penn for me.

If it is a 30T and is a 2 speed it has probably been worked over by Cal and may have some other upgrades.
Penn is much easier to get parts for.
Penns are tanks, I can't kill mine, 30S, 50S, 50SW, 50T even with minimal maintenance.

I own only one Avet  (HX) and quite frankly, I was a little disappointed with that reel at the price point due to the binding issue at less than advertised drag and the steep drag curve between strike and full. I won't buy another Avet unless it was a killer deal. That's just me, others may have a complete opposite viewpoint.

Good luck with your choice.

doradoben

I have both. My Penn is a 30S 2 speed, so it's standard width & has the same push button gear change system as the later VS series. The handle doesn't slide in and out like the older versions. My only issue with it is the frame isn't open top to make it easier for west coast bait fishing. I also have an Avet 4/0 EXW 2 speed. Freespool is very good and mine has plenty of drag. (Alan did a nice tutorial on the site.) The clicker isn't very loud and disengages when you move the handle crank. So, I guess for bait fishing the Avet may be easier to use. As a troll reel, once you get used to the Avet's clicker system either reel would be o.k. Both are discontinued and I have no idea about parts availability..    

jonathan.han

Penn CLickers= people with hearing aids can hear them
Avet clickers= most people with top-of-the-line hearing aids can hear them

Once you get up to the bigger models, the Avets are quite solid. If you don't want gold, go with Avet. If tossing/pitching bait, go with a topless reel. Then again, if tossing bait, what line class are you running? There are a lot of lighter reels out there now that can handle the heavier lines aside from 80 and up.
raw instinct

john2244

I can not comment on the Avet but the Penn 30T is one of reels I use for fishing big tuna.  If you select the Penn and are fishing for big tuna I would recommend sending it to Cal Sheets for all of the upgrades. On a trip earlier this year I caught my largest tuna to date on a 30T, 278# YFT.
John

turboal

I already have a 20 converted to a 2spd and 30T redone by Cal's. the one i am looking at has never been used. it was just put on a rod once.
then put away never fished. the Avet was used a few times but super clean.

john2244

As stated above IF the 30T has been 2 speeded it was probably done by Cal Sheets.  If you take the left side plate cover off you should see a small circular paper tag stating the work done to the reel.  If it was 2 speeded it was probably blueprinted so the tag will state to what line class, also if the reel has upgraded casting bearings and a sleeve.  The reel could also have Cal's blueprint "Plus" feature and a special low gear.  The reel you are considering could be a great find.

John

conchydong

Quote from: john2244 on August 09, 2013, 04:41:43 PM
As stated above IF the 30T has been 2 speeded it was probably done by Cal Sheets.  If you take the left side plate cover off you should see a small circular paper tag stating the work done to the reel.  If it was 2 speeded it was probably blueprinted so the tag will state to what line class, also if the reel has upgraded casting bearings and a sleeve.  The reel could also have Cal's blueprint "Plus" feature and a special low gear.  The reel you are considering could be a great find.

If you do find it is a Cal'd gem, you can always get a topless frame from Tiburon for it if you desire for about $150.00.

turboal

the 30T is a factory 2spd not a Cal's conversion

john2244

I would like to see a picture of that reel.  It is my understanding Penn 30 and 30T were all single speed reels.  Penn 30S, 30 VSX, and 30 VSW were factory 2 speed reels.  You may have found a very rare reel. Plesae post a pic.
John

turboal