Penn Baja Special handle

Started by stoplight, August 08, 2013, 05:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoplight

soooooo..did  a bit of research on replacing the handle and knob for my Baja Special and am not quite sure what works and what does not. I understand there is a knob and handle made by Alan but what are the options should I not want to drill out the old handle? Is there a replacement handle that fits the Baja Special and I can attach the Kolekar handle to?

alantani

if you want, i would be happy to do the drilling for you, but right now there are no other options. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: stoplight on August 08, 2013, 05:33:48 PM
soooooo..did  a bit of research on replacing the handle and knob for my Baja Special and am not quite sure what works and what does not. I understand there is a knob and handle made by Alan but what are the options should I not want to drill out the old handle? Is there a replacement handle that fits the Baja Special and I can attach the Kolekar handle to?

Measure the main shaft, if it's the same size and square like the Fathom reels I can have a arm cut for you.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

MysticParts has an optional stainless handle for the Baja Special, part number 24S-113HN.  At $18.30 it is half the price of the original chromed handle.  I bought one, drilled out the wimpy grip, and installed a Kolekar 6/0 grip.  Very nice!  If I ever sell my Baja Special I can install the original handle.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Does anyone know if the Baja Special handle will fit a Fathom FTH25N?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Keta,

I have both reels but from eyeballing it right now I'd say no, wont have time to check it until tomarrow. It looks like the square holes in the arm of the 113HN are larger than the 25N. Are you looking for the larger handle knob that the 113HN has? I ask because the arm of the 25N is longer than the Baja Special, so the only advantage would be the larger knob.

SoCalAngler

Handle square holes in the Baja are .30" and the Fathom are .225"

Keta

Thanks for looking, I "need" a longer arm AND a bigger handle on my 25N (and 4:1 gears).  I can have an arm cut and order a handle from Alan.

Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Not sure what your using the reel for but 2 weeks ago I went out of SD for the BFT and used my 25N for 1 tuna 50lbs plus with 30lb test and it handled that fish easily, though I did have the handle on it's longest setting. After that I dropped down to 25lb on a BG 20H and caught 3 more tuna in the 35-45 lb range. Oh and one more BFT on a 40lb yoyo setup.

Keta

Mark Twain