Help Identify This Pro Gear Albacore Special Model

Started by Legalizeit, August 08, 2013, 07:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legalizeit

Hi Guys,
I just purchased this beautiful mint condition Pro Gear Albacore Special from Craigslist for a buck sixty. This is my first Pro Gear and I love vintage USA made reels. The strangest thing is that it doesn't have any identifying number on the side plate. I don't know what model it is. I'm assuming a classic 540 Albie Special.

I've included a picture of it next to a Newell P229-F and Avet MXJ. It is larger than both. It has an older style spool disengagement lever that i've seen on the classics. The newer abs models appear to have different styled levers.

Can someone with knowledge educate me on this terrific find? It would be nice to know model, specs, and age/history. Is there are difference between this model and the newer Albacore Specials identified with "abs" in the model number?

Thanks!
Don

Bryan Young

I would say it's a 540.  Not sure of history of reels, but I too love them.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Legalizeit

Bryan, maybe you can chime in on this.

My reel appears to an older series Albacore Special 540. Do you know how it would differ from the new Albacore Special?

The Newer Series Model # and Specs are:
ABS540S-7 - 5:1 Ratio | Wt. 24oz | Capacity 350 yrds/30lb mono

doradoben

Legalizeit, I tend to agree with both you and Bryan that your reel is probably a 540. I also think that it is an early production reel because the lettering is engraved in the left side plate. Later reels had the lettering etched. I haven't seen that many Albacore Specials and this is the first one I've seen without numbers. Some of the very early Classic Special (CS) series reels also didn't have numbers. There is a thread in this section titled "Pro Gear numbering system". The last post in the thread has a rundown of all of the reels Pro Gear produced and specs for them. It's worth a minute to read . Congrats on buying a very nice reel..

Bryan Young

I believe they are the same specs. Uses the same gear as the wahoo special.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ElFred

Don,
  I'm the guy who almost sold you a AS282 on another board. Congrats on your score. I, myself always liked the 540 size over the 282. I know you'll enjoy your new reel. And you saved some bucks!

Legalizeit

Thanks Fred.
I wish I was the lucky owner of your abs282 reel too. I'm still looking for one in clean condition.