looking for abu C4 winch gears or reel

Started by tncathunter, August 08, 2013, 08:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tncathunter

anybody have a couple abu C4 winch reels for sale or know of a couple of sets of gears    thanks

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

You may be able to get it from Pure Fishing's parts deparment.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

I remember Ken D. saying Abu no longer had the 3.8:1 gear set.  I've been watching ebay for one for awhile, no luck.

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

tncathunter

I'd be interested in a whole reel but i tried a lefty one time and ...well let's just it wasn't pretty    lol

Ken_D

Quote from: 0119 on August 08, 2013, 09:25:55 PM
I remember Ken D. saying Abu no longer had the 3.8:1 gear set.  I've been watching ebay for one for awhile, no luck.

Yuppers, the 3.8-1 ratio in RH drive is toast, for the gearset featuring the 3-drag array inside it.
However, there is a slim possibility that the ~earlier~ winch gearset in uc _transition_ with the older 2 drag gear (one in, one underneath), and the ultracast spool, _might still be out there_.

It would take some rummaging through the drawings to arrive at this unit, (I can't remember what year, or what 5 it was in) and then Pure Fishing might also have run out of them.  I check the eeb, eh? quite often, and rarely see used one come up.

Ken_D

Got it.  http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/5000WINCH%2089-0.PDF

Note: if you are converting a present day 4-5-6 reel to the winch, (if P/fshg has them 1-800-abugarcia)  You will need to order in the correct older reel size axle, and the gearset, unless you happen to have an older hybrid reel in the drawer. You might have to fool around with sideplates, shims, driveshafts as well.
Unless, again, you happen to have an older hybrid reel in the drawer.

Ron Jones

Isn't it funny how we are never happy? We do whatever we can to slow down fast reels and speed up slow reels. I do not atribute this to marketing goofs, I think it is just human nature to tinker.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ken_D

Quote from: noyb72 on August 11, 2013, 09:44:35 PM
Isn't it funny how we are never happy? We do whatever we can to slow down fast reels and speed up slow reels. I do not atribute this to marketing goofs, I think it is just human nature to tinker.

Ron

Yup... A bass angler wants the quickest retrieve possible to get the next cast out, and the musky angler wants the 'torquiest' reel, for Mr. Big's scrap. The bass folks won the consumer war, otherwise the slow ratio would still be out there.

tncathunter

Quote from: noyb72 on August 11, 2013, 09:44:35 PM

Ron
That makes us sound like a bunch of women.  But it's true !    ;D

Keta

Manufactures have to sell to the masses and build their reels for the latest fad. The latest fad often does not work in all/most cases, high speed and more ball bearings than needed are good examples.

Mark Twain

And its only getting worse. Have you seen he new St. Croix Inshore rods? White foam grips with white skin, white reel seats, white blanks with white wrappings!

Ron Jones

Why would I want to try to keep white grips clean?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"