Brazing a clicker gear on spool

Started by Bunnlevel Sharker, August 09, 2013, 12:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

Hey guys, haven't been on in a while but I have been doin plenty of fishin. My 4/0w's click gear on the spool popped off and I was wondering if I could braze it back on and then file the excess. It's better than buying a 45 dollar spool if nothing else
Grayson Lanier

Cone

I've never brazed one. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have seen them silver soldered back on. Someone could probably tig weld it too.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bryan Young

I had blazed the clicker gear. Take of all the line and let it cool down slowly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Low temp silver solder would be better.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bunnlevel Sharker

Ok thanks guys, ima try the soldier first. I have access to soldier, stick and mig welding, and brazing stuff, just not tig
Grayson Lanier

Makule

I'm with Keta.  Lower temp is less likely to distort the spool and shaft, and less likely to anneal the shaft.  The silver solder may crack due to the excessive vibration made by the clicker, but it can be redone.  I've done it on some old Pfleuger Templar reels and have not had the sprocket crack/come off.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Well, I was gonna soldier it today, and managed to forget to grab the soldier gun from my grandads house. So now I gotta borrow one from somebody local but once I do I'm gonna strip the line and soldier away
Grayson Lanier

Keta

Low temp silver solder needs to be applied with a torch.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Makule

Good idea to wrap the entire spool in a soaking wet rag to act as a heat sink so that the heat from the torch doesn't warp the spool.  Make sure both parts are very clean and dry and use a good flux.  Don't overdo the solder thinking more is better.  Enough is enough.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Ok didn't know that, I'm a mason not a plumber haha. I've got acces to a torch, I think I got it now. Thanks for the help guys
Grayson Lanier