Albacore Super Special

Started by Joel.B, August 09, 2013, 05:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

I directed a friend in Florida to this site to learn about reel repair/maintenance, he lurked for a few hours and decided he needed a Jigmaster with "the works".  He says he cant do it himself, does not have the workspace or tools, asks me to "do him one".

So here it is. WIsh I would have had some nice black plates, would look better in my opinion, but these are what I had, and they are nice too....

I dont know how many hours I have into this one- two stainless dogs, dogs needed to be shaped and polished, plate milled, bridge drilled...stainless sleeve- I polished the teeth. I lapped the steel gears- super quiet and smooth now. I polished the bushing and spool shafts, polished inside of pinion, polished all the contact points for eccentric and yoke. The freespool is best ive ever tried for a jigmaster with the OEM bushings. The two dogs sound great working together.  I really love this reel, wish it were for me.

Bill B

Sweet!!! Good job...now time to build one for you ;D
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Quote from: Joel.B on August 09, 2013, 05:57:41 PM
.....two stainless dogs, dogs needed to be shaped and polished,

Nice!!  

Was there something wrong with my SS dogs?  I need to know so I can keep the quality I want to provide.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Great job Joel, he'll be very happy with that reel.
About the red plates, do you have any more? I have two right side 501 red plates and everything else to go with it, but do not have the left side plates.
I would like to build me (2) 501, let me know,I could trade stuff or pay for them. No lettering on the plate would be best, but would take whatever, as long as they're in great shape and are reddish like the one above, not the darker color.
Thanks! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

The left side plate on a 501 comes from a 500. Penn interchanged that plate. I found this when I was doing my 2 501's. I will check my stock tomorrow.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

saltydog

Nice job Joel keep up the good work.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Joel.B

Quote from: Keta on August 10, 2013, 02:44:22 AM
Quote from: Joel.B on August 09, 2013, 05:57:41 PM
.....two stainless dogs, dogs needed to be shaped and polished,

Nice!!  

Was there something wrong with my SS dogs?  I need to know so I can keep the quality I want to provide.

Lee, these were the dogs you sent that were a little rough, was all you had at the time and the previous 4 had holes that were too big. When installing two dogs, they both need to be shaped for proper timing. All of the other dogs (countless 113h and jigmaster) have been great thus far.

Joel.B

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 10, 2013, 02:59:32 AM
Great job Joel, he'll be very happy with that reel.
About the red plates, do you have any more? I have two right side 501 red plates and everything else to go with it, but do not have the left side plates.
I would like to build me (2) 501, let me know,I could trade stuff or pay for them. No lettering on the plate would be best, but would take whatever, as long as they're in great shape and are reddish like the one above, not the darker color.
Thanks! Sal

I am away for the weekend Sal, but pretty sure ive got you covered. I think I have some red left plates that are blank like these in pics, some have 500 on the side.  I have decent set from red 501 too.

PM me your shipping info and what you prefer/need, i'll send them out Monday when I am home.

Shark Hunter

Good looking reel Joel!
He must be a good friend! ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Joel.B on August 10, 2013, 04:32:09 AM

I am away for the weekend Sal, but pretty sure ive got you covered. I think I have some red left plates that are blank like these in pics, some have 500 on the side.  I have decent set from red 501 too.

PM me your shipping info and what you prefer/need, i'll send them out Monday when I am home.

Joel, you have a PM. You could have asked anyone for my address, most have it ;D
Thanks buddy!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

san francisco 49'er's colors!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!