140 SQUIDDER CONVERSION

Started by RUSTY OLD COLT, August 10, 2013, 09:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RUSTY OLD COLT

I RECENTLY PICKED UP A 140 SQUIDDER TO USE FOR BAY STRIPE BASS ON LONG ISLAND.  I PLAN TO CONVERT IT TO THE 145 SIZE WITH A TIBURON FRAME AND SPOOL .  ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A ROUND BALL STYLE HANDLE AND ANY MODS FOR BEEFING UP THE INSIDES.......THANKS

alantani

go stepwise.  first the drags and a light coat of grease throughout the reel.  then the handle grip.  keep the old arm and just bolt on a new grip.  then decide if you need a frame,  chances are you will not. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Of course Alan knows best, but adding his stainless gear sleeve makes a very nice reel.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

thanks, but they are not necessary for drag settings of less than 5 pound.  ;D

schwamb1

Newbie here. I found this thread courtesy of Mo at PennParts. I have 4 Penn 140 Squidders that I want to clean up and get back into service that were passed down to me. They are all in decent to excellent shape. I removed the right hand side plate from the reel frame to get at the parts that need relubing and now find I cannot get it back on. It has 3 pins and bayonets into the frame. It was easy off and way to tight to go back. Can you offer any tips? I'm sure I'm not alone with this one.

alantani

find the slots on the frame where the nubs on the side plate fit.  the slots can be pried open a little with a flat screwdriver.  that might help.

bluefish69

If you took all 4 reels apart you could have switched the frames.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Quote from: bluefish69 on August 16, 2013, 09:22:44 PM
If you took all 4 reels apart you could have switched the frames.

Mike
x2....try switching the plates, some are a little different and will cause that. Also, pull out the thumb screw and hold it out with your thumb and index finger as you rotate the plate.
Welcome by the way.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

schwamb1

Thanks for the replies. Your help is very appreciated.

First: No parts were mixed up. Each reel has been carefully kept as a separate unit. Two reels have been tried with the same result. Second: I very carefully tried the screwdriver trick yesterday. Initial rotation was easier but I was left too tight to go all the way to where the thumbscrew would engage. I remember doing this several times years ago without this problem. Reel #1 is almost mint. Reel #2 has been around the block a few lifetimes.

There is no corrosion getting in the way. I am reluctant to try any abrasive to change any dimensions on either the metal ring on the plate or the ID of the frame.  ???

Alto Mare

Try extending the slots by drilling the very tip of it with a 5/64" bit, make sure its a sharp bit. Hold it in an angle, you'll know how to tilt it once you try it, don't worry about the ring, those are thick. All you want to do is to shave just a little, keep testing as you go, that should do it. Also, clean the little pins on the plate with some fine sandpaper, fine file or a dremel with a buffing attachment.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

DaBigOno

@ RUSTY OLD COLT, how did your reel come out?  Got any pics?

With my squidder 145, I just upgraded the gear sleeve with SS, got a Tiburon frame, a Newell spool, new bearings and CF washers and a 24-55 handle.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

day0ne

Did you remove the left hand bearing cup? Try screwing it out out a ways before putting together
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter