Tib framed penn 349h

Started by raumati01, August 11, 2013, 07:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raumati01

I scored this on ebay , the guy said he was selling off his his grandads reels and didn't know much about them. That's a pretty standard line on ebay but given that he didn't know what this was and just advertised it simply as a Penn 349h he was probably telling the truth.
According to John2244 these are very rare frames and the spool is probably from a Newell Wahoo special kit, I emailled Tiburon to see if they wanted to use it as a pattern to make a run of them as I reckon a few of the posters here would love to have one of their own but they never responded which is a shame as they probably could have sold some of ebay like their 112 narrows too. Apparently Accurate made 349h frames as well, has anyone here ever seen one?
It's Justins [Redsettas] if he wants it , he'll make a better job of hotrodding it than I would .

john2244

I think that is a great score.  George told me about a frame on Ebay a few weeks ago but I was outbid.  I did stop by the Tiburon plant last week and asked about the frame.  I was told they have not made that frame in over 15 years and they get only a few request a year, not enough to warrant a production run.

John

Ron Jones

I'll bet Lee is salivating!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Nice!!    I have a Newell 349HW, too bad Tiberon wouldn't make a standard width 349 frame.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Makule

Two of these were acquired from a guy in CA last year (or year before).

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Keta

Tib has to have the drawings, I wonder what their minimum order is to make a special run.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

usually 100 and a 6-12 month lead time. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on August 12, 2013, 05:20:19 PM
usually 100 and a 6-12 month lead time. 

I'd take 2 and could probably find homes for 4 or so more.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

I'm sticking with the narrowed Super Tank with Black Pearl's Hex gear set. It's just 1/4" wider, but I believe it's a better reel  ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I agree that the 114H is a much stronger reel but I love my narrower 349s.  I wish there was a frame to make a 501/349 width 114H, I'd learn to love it quickly.

Mark Twain

Makule

Narrow spools with larger diameters are my preferred configuration too.  Much better balance and handling.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

funhog

First ime logging on, and my first post on this oustanding web site!

After a 15yr layoff, I've Just recently re discovered the addiction of chasing tuna on 2-day trips out of San Diego. Looks like the gear I purchased back in the 80s-90s (Penn w/Tiburon conversions and the Newell P-F series reels) are still verry much accepted and some really significant up-grades can be made.

I have a Penn 349 Whhoo special from Newell that I reealy like. I also have a stock Penn349 in great shape that I would like to replace the heavy metal spool. I heard that Newell( or someone) may have made an aluminum spool in the narrow std. size for this reel. If so: Did it improve the performance(casting) or weaken the reel in any way ?  If anyone has any info on this spool or can validate its existance I would appreciate it. Where I could purchase one - even better!
Thanks to everyone on this site...what an awsome asset it is!

Keta

Mark Twain