So who HAS tried Corrosion X Grease?

Started by exp2000, August 11, 2013, 01:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

Been a lot of discussion on Corrosion X Grease but no evaluation from anyone who has actually used the stuff.

So who HAS tried Corrosion X Grease and how did it stackup compared to the blue stuff?
~

HalBrown

Look at Alan's comment on Corrosion X under Lubricants.

alantani

bryan had some.  not sure if he used it at all, though. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jonathan.han

I've used Corrosion-X HD, regular Corrosion-X, Daiwa blue grease, Penn grease, etc... The main use of grease in reels is to use something to provide some sort of anti-corrosive layer between water esp. saltwater on parts and between dissimilar metals as one will end up corroding due to galvanic reaction (i.e. aluminum and your fasteners). I've seen what the Yamaha and Merc marine grease does with lower units of boats and I'd say that it is a pretty good choice. Anything else that is hydrophobic will work; don't think it over too much.
raw instinct

exp2000

Quote from: jonathan.han on August 12, 2013, 05:42:33 AM
I've used Corrosion-X HD, regular Corrosion-X, Daiwa blue grease, Penn grease, etc... The main use of grease in reels is to use something to provide some sort of anti-corrosive layer between water esp. saltwater on parts and between dissimilar metals as one will end up corroding due to galvanic reaction (i.e. aluminum and your fasteners). I've seen what the Yamaha and Merc marine grease does with lower units of boats and I'd say that it is a pretty good choice. Anything else that is hydrophobic will work; don't think it over too much.

Yeah but many forum members here use Corrosion X because of it's superior anti-corrosive properties.

I am currently using Yamaha grease thinned with different lubes for various applications. Seems like you have explored various products. I am just doing the same.
~

Bunnlevel Sharker

I like Yamaha grease, Mr.Alan recommends it, it spreads and sticks good, and gets the job done
Grayson Lanier

Bryan Young

I have used CorrosionX Grease, CorrosionX HD (which is medium CorrosionX Grease), CorrosionX, and ReelX.  I have yet to discover a problem.  I only have one pound of the grease left as I got it from Germany. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

I have a few tubes of Corrosion Block grease.  It's a really high viscosity, bright blue colored grease that is rated excellent for saltwater/corrosion protection, reduced water washout, temperature stability (520 deg dropping point), has an excellent load wear index (100), and has excellent extreme pressure properties.  It was designed specifically for packing marine trailer bearings.  Overall I thinkbit is a great, long lasting grease with excellent anti corrosion properties.  Unfortunately, many of these properties that make the grease 'tough' result in it being reslly thick and viscous.  Smaller bearings packed with it are actually difficult to turn and result in poor freespool etc.. For this reason I've been hesitant to use it on reel bearings.  It is also a little difficult to pack into small spaces as it's viscosity tends to lead to the development of air pockets.  Also, it's resistant to being spread thin.  I have used it to grease many marine engine, boat, and trailor components and find it is has excellent longevity.  3 years after application, and continued use, in one case, and the grease still came out looking and feeling like new.  I think it would work great for coating reel internals strictly for long-term corrosion protection, but wouldn't want to use it on non-enclosed moving parts(i.e. gears;due to its tendancy to not stay puy), tight enclosed spaces(due to its tendency to form air pockets), or in smaller bearings(due to the increased coefficient of friction/poor freespool). 

Excellent longevity, corrosion resistance, and performance under pressure and high temp.

Just my 2 cents :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.