Tolerance of bushings on a old Ambassadeur 6000

Started by Mandelstam, August 11, 2013, 02:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

I'm in the process of cleaning an old Amb 6000. I noticed that there is a bit of play between the old bushings and the spool axle. I can wiggle it a bit when they are on the axle. Not sure if this is a problem and I should get new bushings or not... The reel was in good shape and the bushings as well. But I haven't played around with a mint 6000 so I don't know how they are supposed to feel and how high the tolerances were from the factory.

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

alantani

it should be just a couple of thousanths.  pretty tight.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mandelstam

Hmm.. sounds like I need some new bushings then..

Thanks Alan!
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Ken_D

Quote from: Mandelstam on August 11, 2013, 07:41:45 PM
Hmm.. sounds like I need some new bushings then..

Thanks Alan!

Good luck with that.... those older 6000's bushings went no longer available about 25 years ago.*
They were hybrid bushings, 3.25 x 10 x 4, instead of today's 3 x 10 x 4.

Is there a possibility someone put the older ones in a today reel? That would account for the slop you are feeling. Bushings usually don't open up as much as you indicate. I have reels from the 70's with clearances less than you're saying.... the older bushings are do-nut shouldered, and today's are square shouldered.

* Locate and place a current 3 x 10 x 4 bb from an Abu 7000 on your axle shaft. If it fits, then your 6000 is not all that old, therefore not fitted with the hybrid bushings.

I'm also assuming your 6 is solid axled, not ultracast. Some uc's used 4 x 10 x 4 bushings  x 2. Some uc's used one bb, and one bushing same size.  

I have about 30 ea. 3 x 10 x 4 bushings..and several of the 4/10/4's...PM me your mail address, and I'll shoot you a couple, if they are 'da ones'.   Cheers, KD

Mandelstam

Hi Ken

It's a 6000 from 1969, with a shaft diam of 0.125". So I know, bushings will be hard to come by that will fit. I guess I have two options, get bearings (3.2x10x4) that will fit or mill down the axle to 3.0mm and get a pair of new sintered bronze bushings (from UT Reel). I'm leaning towards having the shaft turned down to fit new bushings. I'd prefer bushings on this reel.

Right now I'm just thinking of a safe way to sand the shaft down the .17mm that is needed. I guess I can put the shaft in a electrical drill and gently gently sand the shaft with some fine grit paper. But it feels kind of risky. But myabe if you go real slow and don't apply too much pressure...

Ken_D

Hi, I'll rummage about... I think I still have some of the offsize bushings as well... I'll advise tomorrow. Cheers, KD.

Mandelstam

Quote from: Ken_D on August 12, 2013, 05:31:36 AM
Hi, I'll rummage about... I think I still have some of the offsize bushings as well... I'll advise tomorrow. Cheers, KD.
;) Cheers mate!

Ken_D

Yuppers, I have a couple of oldies. They are nice and snug, maybe a half thou on the axle, but like all bb's or bushes, they "wiggle" if held by the outside edges and "tilted" side to side.

But are nice and tight when checking clearances side to side, straight across. They don't budge.
kdriedge@telus.net    Awaiting your addy, so I can start them off.   KD

Mandelstam