116L

Started by Shark Hunter, August 11, 2013, 07:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I rebuilt a 12/0 with aluminum spool last night. All my other 12's have the adjustable bearing on the left side plate. This one doesn't. The bearings are the same on both sides. There is no problem with the spool play and it is very smooth. It looked like brand new on the inside. It even had a new HT-100 seven stack in it. There seemed to be some excess lateral movement of the sleeve. so I put a small brass washer under it and it feels much better now. The problem is the clicker. You can't switch it on and off with your bare hands. I put some reel X on both sides of it and let it soak.. It is still very hard to move. You have to hit it with the rubber end of needle nose pliers to get it to engage and disengage.
I also noticed, the last three 12/0's I rebuilt all had different lengths spacers. Is this because of the different main gears? This one had a brass one with the plastic insert in it. It looked a lot bigger than the steel ones I have done in the past. The spacer was really short on this one.  :-\
I can post some pics if need be.
I have never taken apart the clicker before. I have a parts 12/0, but it has bushings and won't work with the aluminum spool setup. I have a bunch of Senators and have never had clicker problems before.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Daron, you piled up a bunch of things at once ;D. Let's start with the clicker, the problem might be the spring and not the clicker itself. We usually replace those when the tip of the tongue gets flat. Try opening the spring up just a little, but make sure you don't lift it all you want to do is to spread it open just a little. If that doesn't help you'll need to grind the rivet and install a new one....not a big deal.
When you say spacers, do you mean spool spacers or the ring in the main gear? If you're talking about the main gear, don't worry about it being in different size. If all of your 12's have adjustable bearings it means that they all have the three piece spools.
If you don't feel like messing with that clicker, you could install the plate that you have, it should fit just fine.
The left side of the shaft on the three piece spool is the same as the one on the one piece spool.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I apologize Sal,
I have been off the Bourbon for three weeks now and I am wound up like a ten day clock! :o
I used the old plate with the bushings and it worked fine. I am confusing my 9/0's with the 12's.
I did however run into something this evening that I haven't seen before. A 5 Stack 116A with thick Teflon Washers. The 12 with the old plate is in the background. The spacers I was talking about are the spacers on top the stack, under the star.
I think I'm ready for the photo of the Month Again! ;D
Two 113h's ( one is the Tank), Six 114h's, 5 9/0's, 3 10/0's, 3 12/0's, 2 14/0's and 1 16/0!
All with new HT-100 drag stacks and greased up with penn blue grease and Cals drag grease. I have used a pound and half of penn grease! All have one piece spools. Take Care Pal! ;D
Life is Good!

Makule

Methinks you have too many reels on your hands.  You can't possibly use them all.  Let me do you a great favor and take some off your hands.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Shark Hunter

Methinks there is no such thing as too many reels!  ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

That's an impressive collection you're working on Daron ;).
I can't stand clutter in my house, but I wouldn't mind looking at those every day ;D...can't say the same for the wife ::).
With the upgrades that you've been doing, I'm guesstimating you have close to $10,000.00 sitting there, you might want to increase your home owner insurance ;D
On another note, you might be the only one that I know of, having a 12/0 with a bearing on the right-side plate and still  able to adjust the spool ;).
Way to go buddy.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I put the reels all back in their bags and store them in a file cabinet. I only have two drawers full! I still have three more to fill!
The ones with rods go back in the garage. It took me three hours to get everything out and put it all back! ;D
I will take a stab at grinding that rivet off the 12/0 clicker. Its not the brass ring, its the clicker tongue itself. Now when I can get it to engage, the tongue just moves and it sounds like a thrashing machine! ::)
Do I need to order a special rivet?
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/35-115.aspx
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/36-115.aspx
There you go.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

basto

Sorry to get off track here but reminds me of my crossbred 113h and 114h reels. I wanted the left plate of the later models, for their rebuildable clicker and better sealed bearing on my older reels, so bought a couple of newer model cheapies to use their left plates on my oldies. I like the easy access drags and steel gears and handles  of the older models, but can also use the drags and spools off the newer models.
It doesn`t bother me to have a maroon right plate and a red left plate on one reel, as long as the best parts are there. Hope this is clearer than it seems. Just my taste I guess.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Bunnlevel Sharker

Easy access drags are the bomb
Grayson Lanier

George4741

Quote from: basto on August 13, 2013, 02:33:31 AM
It doesn`t bother me to have a maroon right plate and a red left plate on one reel, as long as the best parts are there.

I read how one guy installed mismatched sideplates on his reels just so they were less likely to be taken by mistake, or stolen, on the party boats.  The sideplate colors are also mismatched on one of my 349's and I don't mind.  After all, it is a working reel, not a showpiece. 
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

I picked up a complete side plate for 20 bucks shipped. I have a feeling I am going to mess it up and want back up. :-\
Plus, I think I have enough parts to build a complete 10 or 12/0 and need that original plate.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

So, you're the guy that beat me to it ::). I asked the seller if he would take a M.O., my paypal is empty, he agreed  :( ;D. Can't use other source of payment, threatened by the wife :o ;D
Are you doing the double dogs? If you're not comfortable, send that plate over and I'll double dog it for you, but I rather see you guys take a chance.
If you need it back quickly, can't do it.

Alto Mare

Never mind, that wasn't you. That plate was a 14/0 complete with guts and went for $20, I got home too late :(.

Shark Hunter

Yea, I was eyeballing that too, but I was in too deep already for a another 12/0 and 9/0. need to control myself. :-\
You really need paypal for ebay. You should probably get another card and go paperless on the statements. I don't mean to sound Devious, >:( but a man needs his paypal for reel stuff. :D
Life is Good!