Antiseize for Penn Chromed brass screws into an Accurate Frame

Started by woodeye, August 11, 2013, 08:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodeye

Have two Penn 3/0's with 10 or 12 year old AccuFrames. Originally used reel grease on mounting screws as directed by accurate paperwork, used the two brand new reels exactly twice, rinsed each time. I had trouble with 30 lb mono getting between spool and frame and stuck them both in a drawer. Now, ten+ years later, I sheared six of the screws off while worrying them slowly out. I had 'vice grip graspable' studs sticking up, so I warmed the frames with a torch and got old formula Liquid Wrench into the threads and eased them out. MY NEED HERE IS SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT ANTISEIZE OR ??? I SHOULD USE ON REASSEMBLY.
Thanks, in advance.

Ron Jones

Stainless to aluminum for 10 years is not going to be good news. I would suggest a shorter interval of service. The marine grease today is amazing, but that is a tall order.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

woodeye

They were the original Penn sideplate mount screws, what? Look like chromed brass to me.

Ron Jones

Sorry,
I thought all accurate frames came with stainless screws, maybe that was just the plates. I've sheared brass screws before, but 6 seems like a lot. Maybe you didn't quite get all the salt off?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

woodeye

Alto Mare

The complete kit did come with SS screws.
You could probably get replacement, I know Dan has the ones for the 6/0, but not sure about yours.
Send him an Email.
http://www.reelygone.com/index.html
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!