First Post - Penn GTO 230

Started by blacktip_pr, August 14, 2013, 05:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacktip_pr

Hey Guys:

Heard about this website in the Florida Sportsman Southeast fishing forum and figured somebody may be able to help me with a Penn GTO 230. I regularly maintain my own reels, spinning reels more often than conventional, and was having some issues with the GTO 230 and decided to disassemble, lubricate, re-tighten it, and hope for the best. Long story short, I have not been able to figure out the correct position for the dog and the dog spring  ???. I reviewed the two threads I found in this site ("Penn 220/230GTO stand screws upgrade" and "Penn 230 GTO Levelwind") but they don't show from a complete disassemble to re-assemble these reels. Any information, procedure, or video (even better) will be greatly appreciated. I will be willing to send it to someone who know how to fix them as well.

Thanks for stopping by and tight lines!

Ken_D

Hi. I'm kinda off the wall, having never seen a 230, but from the schematic, it looks a lot like the 330.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Conventional.aspx#GTO

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/230gto.pdf

Open the tutorial for 320, or the 330 here, and see how close they are...I suspect very close.
Look for a tiny little post molded into the sideplate, on the left, and place the dog as shown in the attached image from the 330 tutorial here at Alan's house.  The dog should go on the threaded screw below, not the two unthreaded yoke spring screws above. Cheers, KD.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Tile

The GTO and GTI have the same style of geartrain assembly and by following the GTI tutorials you will service your reel in no time. If you plan to troll with it a lot I suggest upgrading the stand screws and save yourself a ton of headaches and the reel.
In solid fiberglass we trust