Got the tuna! Broke my rod! (with pics and videos)

Started by Bucktail, August 15, 2013, 01:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktail

We went out Monday in search of tuna.  It was a long day, but we stuck it out and were finally rewarded with a nice bluefin on the jig. 

Here's the report.  http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=32462.0

My post is on the second page.  Enjoy!

-Bob
Just a jig-a-lo

Alto Mare

Very nice Bob, how big was that Tuna? Also, what was the rating on that rod? It looked a little under sized :-\
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Awesome. I didn't know you guys like to fish with stubby rods.  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bucktail

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 15, 2013, 02:34:47 AM
Awesome. I didn't know you guys like to fish with stubby rods.  ;D

Ha ha Bryan!  It was not by choice, believe me! :D

Sal,
That is was  ::) a heavy action, Japanese style, jigging rod rated for 40-80 lb. braid.  It is the lighter of the two of my jig rods.

I had 65 lb. braid on the reel with an 80 lb. wind-on leader.  So it was within the rod's stated range.  This rod has taken tuna before with no problem, including a fat yellowfin last year.  And the kicker is, the drag was only set to just under 15 lbs.  It should not have broke, but that's tuna fishing! ;D  At least we put it in the boat! 8)
Just a jig-a-lo

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bucktail on August 15, 2013, 03:25:19 AM
  It should not have broke, but that's tuna fishing! ;D  At least we put it in the boat! 8)
You got that right. Great job from you and the deckhand not loosing it ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bucktail

Thanks Alan.  You will be proud to know that that tuna, and quite a few others, were taken on that reel you see in that video.  It is a Shimano Torium 16 that I upgraded with greased Carbontex washers and a clicking anti-reverse, which I learned about from you. 8)
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

the torium 16 is a great all purpose reel.   now, about that rod........   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Newell Nut

Replace the rod with a Seeker Hercules in the same weight class and you should be happy for long time.

Bucktail

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 19, 2013, 10:07:11 PM
Replace the rod with a Seeker Hercules in the same weight class and you should be happy for long time.

I checked them out, and it looks like all their factory builds are 6' and longer.  For what I do I need a rod around 5' or so.  The rod I had was 5'2" and was sweet (until it broke).  :-\
Just a jig-a-lo