Saltist star drag opinion

Started by justindfish, August 15, 2013, 03:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justindfish

What's yall's opinion on the strength of saltist vs Toriums? From what I've read a saltist is better built but the torium normally gets the nod between the two because of the ease of adding the spring loaded dog. If a spring loaded dog is added to the saltist would the casted in dog stud verse the fitted stainless pin in the torium be considered the weak link. I feel like the frame and drags are better in the saltist this is why I ask. I've thought about drilling the center of the casted in dog stud and pressing in a stainless pin all the way through to keep it from shearing like the one Alan has a pic of in the tutorial.

What's yall's thoughts.

CapeFish

if it is the old silver model saltist, the frames corrode badly, I have one and it is near impossible to stop it, even using grease used on oil rigs to coat the frame inside out doesn't stop it. Toriums no problem with corrosion and mine are much older than the saltist and swim more BUT EXCEPT for the bush in the frame where the drive shaft is seated - beware, grease very well, they corrode and get stuck to the frame, it can be replaced with a bearing, but still requires grease and lots. Out the box the new saltist is pretty cool, already has carbon fibre drags.

justindfish

Well I'm thinking of getting one using a mill to drill and tap a hole through the stud and run a screw in there to keep it from shearing if it gets under load. I would then have to spring load the dog.

alantani

not a big fan of the saltist reels.  get the torium. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

justindfish

Well if Alan says Torium I guess that's the way to go!