ABU Garcia A20LC worm gear

Started by smnaguwa, August 15, 2013, 02:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smnaguwa

Hi,
I have an ABU Garcia A20LC that I use for stripers in the Delta and like it. The worm gear for the line guide is not working right-it hangs up on the left side when the line is going out. Lost a good striper that way. Wrote to ABU GArcia and no reply. Any advice?

Ken_D

Hello. If you are presently in North America, phone them at 1-800-abugarcia. It's either the worm or the line pawl. I've just put in for a schematic, for part numbers, etc.  Over the phone, they should be able to assist in the meantime.

Ken_D

Oops.... you could be out of luck... the reel is discontinued. Not to say there will not still be spares, there might be. I'll know more on that when Pure Fishing replies to my note on the drawing.

http://reviews.abugarcia.com/1202-en_us/289/abu-garcia-a20-lc-reviews/reviews.htm

smnaguwa

Thanks. I was hoping the worm gear/pawl was "standard" on their reels.

Ken_D

Quote from: smnaguwa on August 15, 2013, 06:55:12 PM

Nice thought....but once an Aub reel is no longer made or designed in Sweden, it seems the global or offshore concept kicks in.. make everything unique to a reel to prevent repair.. forcing a new buy.

Anyway I did get the schematic from PF, but regret to inform they never did get parts in. It's now a really good door-stop, or crap pot anchor...unless it's just crud somewhere. Depending on how handy you are, you may be able to adapt a worm and pawl from another reel to work...

The schematic is also useless.... there are no part numbers, just some reference numbers.  

Bryan Young

Or just take the line guide out and use it like an open caster and use your thumb to guide the line.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

smnaguwa

Thanks Ken_D for all your work. Am reluctant to buy any ABU Garcia product now.

Ken_D

Quote from: smnaguwa on August 20, 2013, 02:18:43 AM
Thanks Ken_D for all your work. Am reluctant to buy any ABU Garcia product now.

Hi... good suggestion to remove the line carriage, leaving the worm in, and use as a conventional. Any Swedish-made Abu ought to be still a quality piece... and any of the common Chinese (7000i, etc) will be OK.
For the ocean, you might want to take a look at the Shimano Tritons, 2000's, and reels along those lines.

steelfish

Quote from: smnaguwa on August 15, 2013, 06:55:12 PM

dang.. I was hoping that it was same worm from any of the 7000 model size.

I have a guy with a a20lc with bad worm/pilot guide

The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

keep an eye peeled for an ebay parts reel.

How old is this reel?

steelfish

well I dont know how old is this reel, but abu is still producing the Alphamar 20LC reel.

there is always hard to find pieces for okuma, abu and daiwa, I haven found a big shop that carry most of the parts for those brands like fish.shopshimano and scotts (penn)

update:
nevermind. I found a place that carry that part.. ereplacementparts.com
The Baja Guy

smnaguwa