Help with Pro Gear Reel Clamp

Started by Legalizeit, August 17, 2013, 04:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legalizeit

Just picked up a Calstar Grafigher 900M Deckhand for my like new Pro Gear 540 Albie Special. When attempting to clamp the reel on the new rod I come to find that one of the screws and the accompanying fastner of the reel clamp are stuck. I can't for the life of my unscrew them. Now I can't clamp my reel to my rod.

Any ideas on:
1) unscrewing them without damaging the thread.
2) replacing the clamp and/or parts

This stinks. The bluefin are waiting.

Need help in San Diego  ???

Bryan Young

I would first take the reel seat off then with the help of the nut, unscrew the reel clamp post. then one both posts are out, take the clamp off. Then I would drop them in hit water and let them soak and then try to unscrew. You may need two nuts on one post tightened to unscrew the cap.   If its still stuck, may use a little more heat to break the grime then repeat to try to unscrew. Its not always a quick and easy process. You may need to do it more than once.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ElFred

There is a chance that the threads had been damaged in a past life due to dissimilar metals and too much time between lubing. If that's the case, it may have been reinstalled with locktite.

jonathan.han

I use BoeShield and TSI 301 as a penetrating oil to break loose disimilar metals and what not. THe worst part is that if you don't have the patience to allow the stuff to soak/penetrate before you start to pry it open, you run the risk of stripping screw heads, then you have to buy/find new hardware. Make sure you soak it for a good half hour before you really try to use profanity and turn your face red >:( Good luck!

For future reference, use some reel/marine grease on all screws and nuts
raw instinct

jonathan.han

You can always find a small (socket caps are nice) bolt that will go in and not protrude through the frame and grab line or mangle line on the spool.
Also, I just change out the reel clamps to Penn's. They work fine and no one really cares when they look at the rod and reel.
raw instinct

joel8080

I just finished rebuilding both my 440 & 454 with new SS gear sleeves & SS dogs. I noticed when I took the clamp screws out ( double nut to remove) there was white teflon or chemical on the threads & in the screw holes, I wonder if they were meant to stay in? any way they are greased and back in.

Joel
Oceanside,California

Bryan Young

was it white and powdery?  If so, it's probably salt and corrosion.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

joel8080

Hi Bryan

No it was like teflon tape when I could get pieces out they had thread marks on them, for sure it was not salt.

Joel
Oceanside,California