Penn 309

Started by Ron Jones, August 18, 2013, 02:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Can anyone tell me if the 309 spool is the sme size as a 99? They both use a 66 stand but I'm not sure of the diameter.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

Not the same.  The 309 has a slightly larger diameter and a different spindle.
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

Thanks,

I knew they wouldn't fit. but I figured they were close. Because of how similar they are, the 309 seems to be as close to a factory albacore special as they come. They are a little slow, but with a newell stand and updated drag stuffed in a steel gear and all the other stainless bits they would be very capable. Seems like a great live bait reel.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

A friend of mine and his two sons use the 309 for albacore out of San Diego.  They've been using them for the last five years without a problem.   
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

The first thing to go would be the level wind. I wonder if we could use the 112h bridge and run 500 gears the same way we do the grouper special. A 5:1 built up 309 would be awesome! If I can scrounge another 112H I might have to try that.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Bucktail

Quote from: George4741 on August 20, 2013, 11:35:03 PM
A friend of mine and his two sons use the 309 for albacore out of San Diego.  They've been using them for the last five years without a problem.    
 George

How big are the fish they are catching on the 309s?
Just a jig-a-lo

john2244

I have a couple of 309's that I have used for various types of local fishing.  I have not caught anything big, maybe a 20# batray.  I removed the level wind and they have worked fine.
John

George4741

Quote from: Bucktail on August 21, 2013, 12:05:09 AM

How big are the fish they are catching on the 309s?

I'm not sure, but we catch school albacore, dorado and the occasional bluefin on 1-1/2 day trips.  Some of the albacore are 30 plus pounds.

viurem lliures o morirem