Best Conventional Reels Made, List Your Top 5

Started by southland, August 18, 2013, 11:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

As much as I've tried, really tried, I just can't get excited about low profile reels. Nor can I get into any cast control but my thumb.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

nelz

Ok, so if the lowest price to performance ratio is being used here, my two picks still shine:

1: Penn Torque 100 - got it for only $200 on clearance, brand new, that's 1/2 price.
2: Daiwa Luna 300 - Christmas present from my girlfriend at the time, yeah baby!

On a side note, I just can't get excited about low profile reels either! LOL

basto

Well that was a bit of fun. Can we do it with spinners now?
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Ron Jones

Only truly have one on my spinner favorite list. every man should have a John Der tractor, a Winchester model 70, and a Mitchell 300!

Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

basto

alantani

Quote from: noyb72 on August 21, 2013, 02:47:30 AM
Only truly have one on my spinner favorite list. every man should have a John Der tractor, a Winchester model 70, and a Mitchell 300!

Ronald

a 1940's massey ferguson, a 1954 winchester model 94, and several 1960's old mitchells!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Quote from: basto on August 21, 2013, 04:19:18 AM
I hope that`s a pre`64 model `70

I am a traditional kind of guy, but to be honest, the new crf models are another and more accurate. that isn't to say I don't love the old ones!

Ronald
Ronald Jones
"

Shark Hunter

I am with Albert on this one.
1.)Penn 12/0, good average reel for bigger fish with the extra line capacity. Not as heavy as the 14 or 16.
2.)Penn 6/0, From a P-60 extra wide to a plain jane post model. This reel is amazing and abundant.
3.)113H Tank, Ridiculous what this little reel can do. Sal has made this a master piece!
4.)Penn 14/0, When really nothing else will do. Strap on the harness and Git-R-Done!
5.)Penn 16/0, The Legend. Biggest and Baddest!
My dream reel is an Everol 2 speed 12/0. Will get one some day. Also a penn International 50. I like your style Dom!
I like to keep it simple. The old Senators are for me!  ;D
Life is Good!

basto

Quote from: noyb72 on August 21, 2013, 05:11:48 AM
Quote from: basto on August 21, 2013, 04:19:18 AM
I hope that`s a pre`64 model `70

I am a traditional kind of guy, but to be honest, the new crf models are another and more accurate. that isn't to say I don't love the old ones!

Ronald
Yes, I understand completely Ronald. Just like my taste runs to 1980`s Shimano star drag conventionals, but there is nothing like my PE5n JM for comfort and efficiency.

Keta

Quote from: alantani on August 20, 2013, 05:48:09 AM
ok, i don't fish for bass, but if i did, it would be with the old shimano curado, the old greenie.  

The 200 is a good steelhead reel too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broschro

113hn  for jiging                                                                                                                            Gls 45 for flat line
113 h tank for grouper
209 for bait rod
505 for my lite set up ;D

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
"

Makule

Quoteevery man should have a John Der tractor, a Winchester model 70, and a Mitchell 300!

I don't have any of those, don't have any use for any of those, and don't have any plans to get any of those.  Does that mean.....?

I'm currently working on an Everol Cairns 14/0.  I've also worked on Penn International and Shimano Beastmaster (for lever drag reels).  In my view, the Everol would be my reel of choice if I could get my hands on a 2-speed model (thought I did but the owner sold it to someone else before I got there to pick it up....so nice of that lady, after I'd already purchased many other things from her).  Ahem, I digress.  Anyway, although not the most sophisticated design, the Everol is made like a massive super tank that appeals to the meat hunter in me.  It's heavy, clumsy, and is like a winch.  Just my style.

For Sharkhunter, I have a beat up Intl. 50 that could be yours for a very affordable price since I'm finished playing around with it.  It's too small for the big stuff, too heavy for the small stuff, and since I've beaten it up quite well, the bling is gone (so is the romance that I initially had for it).  It's not the winch I thought it was and has not served me well.  It's only been a prototype for me to test different ideas on.

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Keta

Quote from: Makule on August 21, 2013, 06:55:15 PM
Quoteevery man should have a John Der tractor, a Winchester model 70, and a Mitchell 300!

I don't have any of those, don't have any use for any of those, and don't have any plans to get any of those.  Does that mean.....?

No.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I said every man should have, not your not a man if you don't have. I don't currently have a model 70 and it doesn't make a lot of sense to have one on Oahu, but if the rite one comes along it will be hung on the wall. I have several Mitchels but to be honest, I can't remember the last time I fished one.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"