Best Conventional Reels Made, List Your Top 5

Started by southland, August 18, 2013, 11:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southland

If you could have only 5 conventional reels, what would they be listed in order of preference, 1 to 5.

Alto Mare

Southland that's a heck of a question for being your very first post ;D. Welcome aboard.
I guess I'll be the first to reply. I hope no one gets surprised by my choices ;D
In no particular order, I like them the same..... all have their place:
Penn 114H&113H Tanks
        112H
All of the above loaded to the brim with upgrades ;).

I like many more, but you only gave 5 choices.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

southland

Thanks Alto. Yeah, I know it's a pretty big question. I am a former freshwater fishing addict and recently decided I'm going to do more saltwater fishing, something new. I figure if a reel is in someones top 5 it would be an OK reel to purchase. Didn't want to list a specific type of fishing or species I am after, too much differences of opinion on lever drag/star drag, 2 speed/1 speed, reel size, etc. Just wanted to know what everyone's favorite reels were. 

DaBigOno

Hello everyone.

I love to fish my:

Penn 500
Penn Squidder 145
Penn 501
Avet MXJ
Avet JX  6/3
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Alto Mare

Quote from: southland on August 18, 2013, 01:20:46 PM
Thanks Alto. Yeah, I know it's a pretty big question. I am a former freshwater fishing addict and recently decided I'm going to do more saltwater fishing, something new. I figure if a reel is in someones top 5 it would be an OK reel to purchase. Didn't want to list a specific type of fishing or species I am after, too much differences of opinion on lever drag/star drag, 2 speed/1 speed, reel size, etc. Just wanted to know what everyone's favorite reels were. 
I believe it's a good way to start...as you're doing, the only problem is that you might still be undecided after receiving all your answers ;D.
Good luck with your search, if you have any specific question on any of the reels, there are many members here that could help you.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

It's hard to list them in order because it depends on what you are going after. But 5 of my favorites are ( in no particular order) are all Penn's, 114HLW, 113HLW, 112H tuna special, International 50W Cal's 2 speed, & my Penn Fierce 7000 spinner. Wow, that was hard leaving out a bunch more.    Rudy

Newell Nut

My choices are Newell 332-5, 533-4.6, 338-5, 540-3.2 and 631-3.1. Only upgrades needed are CFs, all have stainless gears and the 500s and 600s have double dogs.
The Tiburon frames do add a little stiffness but not a necessity.

alantani

#1 - progear classic series 500 or 501 - 50# spectra (if i could only have one reel)
#2 - ambassaduer 4600C3 - 40# spectra
#3 - shimano tld 13/30 - 60# spectra
#4 - shimano tld 20 two speed - 80# spectra
#5 - penn international 50II - 130# spectra

very interesting question.  my answer is based on the fishing that i personally do, or could ever forsee myself doing.  i would also want the most economical reel that would give me the best level of performance.  the only reel that i think is a bit exhorbtant is the progear, but that's just because i really like the reel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on August 18, 2013, 09:21:38 PM
#1 - progear classic series 500 or 501 - 50# spectra (if i could only have one reel)
#2 - ambassaduer 4600C3 - 40# spectra
#3 - shimano tld 13/30 - 60# spectra
#4 - shimano tld 20 two speed - 80# spectra
#5 - penn international 50II - 130# spectra

very interesting question.  my answer is based on the fishing that i personally do, or could ever forsee myself doing.  i would also want the most economical reel that would give me the best level of performance.  the only reel that i think is a bit exhorbtant is the progear, but that's just because i really like the reel. 
Trying to keep everyone happy, I see ;D you could have replaced one of the Shimanos with Okuma, that would have covered most ;D

Ron Jones

1 Newell Tuna Special, the more I fish it the more I love it.
2. Newell Marlin Special, the Tuna Special's big brother.
3. A 20 sized graphite frame caster. 320 GTi Alan's way, Diawa SLH-20 etc
4. 114HLW full aluminum frame.
5. Diawa Millionaire 300A CV-X/Z Fished day in and day out for over 10 years and will fish it till I'm gone. Thousands of fish and no issues.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Makule

Penn Senators, in order of preference.

115  Caught the most fish with these.
117  Caught the largest fish on these.
113H  Because I'm older and it's not easy casting the heavier reels.  It will work its way up as I get older.
116  Good "in between" size reel (between 14/0 and 9/0).
116A  Has good balance, like the 14/0, but mine has a three-piece spool so I really don't use it.  If it came with an aluminum spool, I'd use it in place of the 12/0.  I may one day be tempted to cast my own aluminum spool for it.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

saltydog

Well that is a hard one there are so many different ways to fish for different fish but here it goes.
All upgraded to the max.
112H
113H
114H
Then I would have to go with the Fin nor 6500
ABU6500

But then I have so many other reels for so many other applications it is impossible to have a reel that fits all situations, at least that's what I tell my wife when I pick up a new one. And then you have the rods the line and all the tackle that go with them. I sure am glad my wife understands and supports my habit  ;) or at least she humors me. And I can still do work in the house sometimes.  ::)
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bryan Young

Abu 6500C3
pro gear 255
pro gear 545
abu 550C3
Penn 113H
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 18, 2013, 10:07:51 PM
Trying to keep everyone happy, I see ;D you could have replaced one of the Shimanos with Okuma, that would have covered most ;D

cost was one factor for me.  ease of service the other. and then performance.  getting them to work well is easy once you go through them.  i would want reels that would be less expensive to purchase and easy to work on.  that's why i chose the old school penn international and the tld 20II.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!