Unbelievable Records

Started by nelz, August 19, 2013, 02:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I was going through highlights of some IGFA records on another website, Sport Fisherman I think, and saw some quite unbelievable ones. For example, 200+ lb marlin on 6# line in under 7 minutes??? There are even more unbelievable ones for 2# line.

How the heck are such accomplishments even possible? Boat handling was credited in all cases of these, but still, HOW??? Just curious if anyone here can offer an explanation.

Keta

Hook up, back down fast, leaderman grabs heavy leader and the fish is a record.

If the old records are available look at the mid 80's to late 90's 6kg chum salmon record.    ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Makule

Maybe with such small line, it's possible to hook the fish without its knowing.  Then just carefully move up to the fish and hit it with a harpoon.

A guy, named Stu Apte, used to specialize in light fly fishing for blue water species.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

nelz

LOL, thanks guys, I think both methods have probably been used. However, both are cheating IMHO!

saltydog

All I can say is it is possible, I have caught many fish on 2,4,6 pound class tackle that would just make you think no way. Like my best smallmouth buffalo is 52 pounds on 4# line caught while bluegill fishing and there was that 53# longnose gar on 2# while pitching meal worms for perch. It all comes down to good tackle, smooth drags, skill, and a whole lot of luck. ;D
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

nelz

I'm sure those took you quite a long time to land though, right?  Not like the 231lb Marlin on 2# line in 10 minutes. It's in the books.

saltydog

No they fought for a long time , I think the gar was over an hour and the buffalo was around 40 minutes. Sounds like the marlin was struck in the face with a bait while asleep and didn't know he was hooked till the gaff hit him.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bunnlevel Sharker

Yep they hook up, back down, gaff, and repeat the cheat!
Grayson Lanier