using a Penn 16S

Started by turboal, August 19, 2013, 05:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboal

MY 16S was given a Cal's redo years ago, but i never got around to using it. I want to use it on a Tuna-Shark trip do you think it's to
lightweight ? it's setup for 60 lb drag i think, don't remember for sure. what line weight braid should i use ? what big arm and handle would fit ?
I also have a 20 Int. that Cal's redid over into a 2spd for me that i would like to use on this trip. I am going to take the 50 Int that i made
into a narrow reel to give it a try.

the 16S has an M sleeve. nothing else shows as an alternative handle on Scoott's list

jonathan.han

Alan probably has a handle arm.
raw instinct

alantani

i thought it was a jigmaster size....... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

john2244

It all depend on how big the tuna and sharks are that you will target.  I don't have a Penn 16s anymore but I always use Tiburon handles on my Penn's and as I remember the handle for a 16s was a one of a kind size.  I would say Cal set your 16s up to fish 60# line and not with 60#'s of drag.  Again, as I remember the max he would blueprint that reel to fish was 100# line. Your Penn 20 is capable of landing big fish.  I use my Penn 20's to fish for big tuna and have landed tuna over 200# using a Penn 20 2 speed reel.  I would like to see a picture of the Penn 50 that you have narrowed, that sound very interesting.

John

turboal

In making the 50 Intl narrow i copied a 20 using the posts and reel foot, and cross bar. cut the spool to the same width as the 20.
pressed the half's together on  thick walled aluminum tubing using stud and bearing locktite.
then drilled and tapped them on with 3 #10 set screws on each half. I had to cut and weld the spool gear shaft
and a bunch of other stuff. it took me a while to get the parts machined. I will dig it out and take a few pics for you

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

turboal

Tiburon has a handle for it, it's one of their new lite series handles. it is smaller than their original ones.
when Cal's set up this reel they maxed out the drag for me. I think he said they put in the belvilles out of
a 50tw

john2244

Very nice, thanks for posting the pics.  I am sure that took a lot of time and effort.  Job well done.

John

UKChris

Fascinating. Reminds me of the Master Mariner c/w a 6/0 - now we have a 'Master Marinered' Intnl 50?

turboal

never saw a master mariner. thanks for the complements tho. I really didn't need all the line on a full size 50 or the weight,
so i decided to make a narrow one. it is also easier to handle on a rod yet it still has the full drag power. plus i set the belvilles
up for more (()) I just hope it works as good as it looks. may do a 2spd next if this works out or talk to Cal's to redo this one.

Bryan Young

Whoa, now that's impressive work.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

turboal

Bryan, thank you, thank you, thank you. yes it took some work to make this.

George4741

It seems we have other members who are narrow minded! ;)  That's my kind of reel, big and narrow.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

turboal

Yes George, i like a narrow reel. I even thought of doing a 80 Intl. but the price of buying one
then doing all the work was just to much money for something i would not use very often.
tho it would be a pretty cool reel.

Bryan Young

Kind of like a Penn 349 in a lever drag international form. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D