Penn 30 metal drag plate

Started by UKChris, August 20, 2013, 11:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris

Two questions please...

Does anyone know if the metal drag plate on a Penn 30 (old style, frame posts, floating doughnut drag washer and separate drive plate) part number 7A-30 is interchangeable with the newer (one-piece frame, carbon drag fixed to drive plate) metal drag plate on the International 30T/30TW/30S/30SW part number 007-030?

Second, can I replace the separate drive plate (part 117-30) and floating doughnut (6/1-30) in the Int 30 with the one-piece drive plate and drag washer from the later reels (117DN-30)? Would it be a straightforward drop in replacement or is anything else going to have to change as well?

I know I could check by taking the two reels (30 and 30TW) apart and seeing if I can swap the bits about, but I'd rather simply ask the gurus if they know the answer.

Thank you.

Chris

Robert Janssen

Quote...the one-piece drive plate and drag washer from the later reels (117DN-30)? Would it be a straightforward drop in replacement...

No. Something about the shaft, splines and pinion... Don't recall exactly...

alantani.com/index.php?topic=4543

and

alantani.com/index.php?topic=4460

should tell you more

but really it would be far easier to make a new floating donut than to mess around with ordering expensive parts from other reels. In my mind anyway. Or just keep the original donut to make things really easy.

turboal

the splines are a different size. the older 50 has the same problem.

UKChris

Thanks both - very helpful.
(I don't know where my 'thank you' from yesterday went!)
Thankfully, both reels look unlikely to need new parts for the foreseeable future given my rate of use, but the 30 metal plate does need flattening as it has four high spots. I guess it is wet 'n' dry paper and a sheet of glass...

UKChris

I'm adding this note in case anyone finds this thread in future and wonders what the outcome was.

I bought another beaten-up, old-style, Int. 30 with the chrome post frame; it had a later-style black handle not the earlier 'wood look' one of the reel I mentioned in the note above. Inside, this new purchase had the one-piece (HT 100 or duradrag?) drag and drive plate not the floating washer style of the original Int. 30.

Hmm - my first reel looks nicer but the drag is 'lumpy' still.

I took this one-piece drag washer/dive plate assembly and swapped it for the donut and drive plate of the older but better-looking reel and it fitted perfectly - a straight drop-in replacement. So, now I have a very nice Int. 30 with a smooth drag and the nice 'retro' handle and another that will be put together for 'borrowers'  ;D

Seems the spline issue on the drive shaft is not a problem this time.