Puffers

Started by mrbrklyn, August 20, 2013, 11:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

I had a chance to boat down to the Jersey Shore this week and ran into a bunch of Puffer Fish.  They have been rare in our waters over the last decade but they seem to be making a come back.

bluefish69

MrBklyn

They are not Kosher but I will glagly take all of them off your hands.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bucktail

I don't fish for them, but I've heard a lot of good reports down here from those who have been targeting them in the bay.

What boat were you on?
Just a jig-a-lo

Bucktail

Quote from: mrbrklyn on August 21, 2013, 12:06:56 AM
...it was an unusual coloration for a Sea Robin in the waters of the Jersey Shore.

Looks like the right color to me. ???
Just a jig-a-lo

bluefish69

They try to blend in to the bottom.

Bucktail

Nice.  How far did you come down?  Raritan bay?
Just a jig-a-lo

Makule

What do people do with puffer fish?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

bluefish69

On Long Island we skin them & eat the beat fish there are. They look like a Chicken Leg when cleaned. No Poison in our Puffers.

I wrote how to clean them somewhere on here. Besides a Knife the most important thing is a rag

Mike

Jeto

There was a time while shore casting when all i caught were puffers...around 12-15 pcs.
Nothing else took my bait except puffers. ;D

akfish

Interesting aside: I caught puffers while fishing in freshwater for Nile Perch and Tiger Fish in the Nile River. They went crazy for soft plastic swim baits
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

akfish

No the Nile isn't brackish. And to be more specific, I was fishing in Lake Asswan, a dammed up portion of the Nile completely separate from saltwater.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska