Penn 114H Bearing Removal-Right side

Started by 4 REEL, March 15, 2010, 12:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4 REEL

How do remove bearing from metal cup?  I ment right side #26

alantani

stick the end of this bearing puller under the lip of the bearing cover and "crowbar" it up.  it is pressed in and will lift out easily.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

4 REEL

opps....I ment the right side bearing #26.

alantani

ugghhhh!  use the same bearing puller and hope you get lucky.  i've been soaking them with xtreme reel + and some have worked, some had to get tossed.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

I use a 2mm dia nail with enough of the head removed to allow it to enter the bearing bore and engage with the bearing face.Grip nail horizontally in bench vice to protrude slightly (from one side of vice) and locate bearing housing assembly on same. Ensure that nail head is located against the inside bearing face and gently lever bearing housing away from vice using a screwdriver.  I know it looks complicated but as the the bearing housing is easily damaged by gripping I find this method safer.

pompano joe

Irish Jigger,

This was the best tip ever!  I worked on this bearing for an afternoon, then read your post.  Pics attached.  I just secured a nail in my drill press chuck and reduced the head with a file to where it just find inside the bearing "bore" to use your terminology.  Put the nail in the vice and pried the cover off with a screw driver just like you said.  The longest part of the process was making the tool.

Thanks a million!  Great web site Alan, keep up the good work.

Pompano Joe
Pompano Joe

Irish Jigger

Glad it worked for you Joe. It's always a relief when these things come apart and you don't have to buy too many parts. ;)