It is alive!

Started by floating doc, May 17, 2012, 01:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

One of my favorite movie lines, from the 1931 remake of Frankenstein (after the silent film).

I bought a Penn 970 on ebay months ago, tore it down over the winter, and let it sit for at least 2 months. A lot of the wait was for the right materials. It was hard to find the corrosion x and Yamaha grease.

I've never had a Penn reel apart. My total experience is that I put some smooth drag washers in my Daiwa sealines about 20 years ago. By any standard, and certainly by the standards of this site, I'm really green.

I had been worried that I was going to be mailing out a "basket case", but thanks to the tutorials I put the reel back together in about 30 minutes this afternoon. Thanks for a fantastic website, Alan!

I have a couple of basic questions; I'll post them in the General questions and trouble shooting section.
Central Florida

Bryan Young

Glad you got the reel back together again.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Well done doc - this is what it's all about.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

Good, now what is your next project going to be?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: floating doc on May 17, 2012, 01:56:48 AM

Thanks for a fantastic website, Alan!

couldn't have said it any better....

floating doc

Quote from: Keta on May 17, 2012, 01:15:12 PM
Good, now what is your next project going to be?
Oh, I still have to take it apart again to remove the stand, so that I can install a rod clamp. I bought a clamp, but it shipped with the wrong screws, and I can't install them because the stand is too narrow to thread the screws in. :P

I just couldn't wait to find out if I was going to be able to assemble the reel, because I have a trip coming up on the first of June.

Next project? I think I'll crack open my 40 GLS next.
Central Florida

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!