Sealine 600H spool corrosion

Started by Jason Groombridge, August 24, 2013, 06:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Groombridge

G'day Guys,

I am cleaning up a Sealine 600H I recently got from ebay. Anyway, when I removed the line there was quite alot of really hard caked on salt stuck to the sides of the spool. I tried gently scraping it off but it was just too hard. So I gently (well as gently as I could) cleaned the salt off with the wire wheel on my bench grinder. Got it all off but at the expense of some anodising. Should I be trying to have this re-anodised? Or should I just coat it with something like carnauba wax and go fishing?

Cheers

Jason

RowdyW

There are a number of options, the cheapest & easiest is a couple of coats of wax. You could also send it out to be powder coated. Also you can call Daiwa Parts Dept. & purchase a new one (800 736-4653). I would just wax it & go fishing until it gave me problems & then I would buy a new one. Daiwa parts are very reasonably priced. If you buy a new one don't forget to wax it first.        Rudy

Jason Groombridge

Thanks Rudy,

Think I'll do what you suggest, wax this one and then check it in a couple of years and replace if necessary.

Cheers

Jason

jonathan.han

Next time, use some vinegar and soap. If that doesn't get it, use some soap and CLR. Soak and scrub with a non-abrasive brush. Using a wire wheel is only going to create problems. I guess you could put some wax on it, but a coating of grease should be fine.
raw instinct

Bunnlevel Sharker

For the spool, don't use grease. A guy on SOS had one with a similar problem, he had to cut the last 100yds of line off with a chisel. Soaked in clr over night, good as new
Grayson Lanier

jonathan.han

Ah...I didn't realize it was on the line surface of the spool!! I really don't even like the wax idea. Eventually, with compaction of mono or even braid, the wax won't be of much help there, but it would be better than nothing. New spool? The thing to remember is that will you ever end up down there? If you do, you're probably done for. If the line doesn't come out, just use a boxcutter or knife to cut the line carefully. I prefer to use dykes/diagonal cutter/wire cutters if you're having a few beers.
raw instinct