114HL

Started by Shark Hunter, August 24, 2013, 01:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Picked up a 114HL on a nice 50 to 100lb Billfisher rod for 100 bucks.
Is there any differences I should know about the regular 114H and this model?

Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

I'm pretty sure the L stands for light referring to the aluminum spool
Grayson Lanier

RowdyW

If it hasn't been messed with it will have a bronze main gear.

Makule

Agree with Bunnlevel Sharker.  The "L" designation were given to the reels that came out with the cast aluminum spools.  Unfortunately, there was nothing in the earlier number designation to indicate which had the three-piece pressed spools and which had the one-piece cast bronze spools.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on August 24, 2013, 01:58:39 PM
If it hasn't been messed with it will have a bronze main gear.
Not necessarily ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Makule on August 24, 2013, 07:16:02 PM
Agree with Bunnlevel Sharker.  The "L" designation were given to the reels that came out with the cast aluminum spools.  Unfortunately, there was nothing in the earlier number designation to indicate which had the three-piece pressed spools and which had the one-piece cast bronze spools.
On earlier models, the "L" was used for left hand reels.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

You gave me a scare there Sal. I scrolled up to the picture to make sure it wasn't left handed.
I know this spool is nothing like a Tank spool, but you think I should slap in a bronze one for Shark Fishing? I already have a steel main and some double dogs for it.
I can't afford to Tank out all my 114's. :-\
Well, let me rephrase that. I can't tank them all out at the present time. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Daron, I was talking about earlier models, going way back. I wasn't born yet, but I believe you were around ten at that time;D.
You'll do just fine with the aluminum spool, the tank has an aluminum spool and so do most of my reels.
When I joined here I was getting confrontational on that subject, I argued that the brass spool was a much better option, also the wide frame. I hate o say it, but the California boys changed my mind. Most of my reels have the aluminum spool and the smaller reels are narrowed. I'm still trying to get Penn to bring us the aluminum spool for the 116A. They offer it on the 12/0, I just don't  see why they won't do it for the 10/0, I could probably use a half of dozen myself. :-\
With that said about  brass vs. aluminum, don't try to use steel wire with the aluminum spools, unless you need aluminum washers ;)

Bunnlevel Sharker

I like the one piece brass cause I can bar pack the mess out of em and I get more line, if I get any reel bigger than a 6/0w from now on out I prefer a brass spool
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Yes,
I know you have a thing for the 10/0. I have three and am fixing to build a fourth. I have the counterbalanced handle and a nice spool. The guts and side plates are from a 12/0 I bought for parts. Since I have the spool, I just need some crossbars.
Life is Good!