This is probably a long shot.....

Started by Bunnlevel Sharker, August 24, 2013, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

I have an old daiwa spinning reel, I think it's a SS spinner, it holds 325 of 10lb mono. The handle won't screw in, either the threads in the main gear are stripped or the handle is messed up.....Any ideas? And any idea of where I could get a part? It was my great grandads and all the other parts are in good shape. Full metal and all metal parts except for a plastic clicker under the spool. I'd love to be able to fish it. I can post a pic
Grayson Lanier

harryk3616

post a pic of the handle and spinner to see a model number.

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Bunnlevel Sharker

It's not reverse threaded, the handle slides in and out of he gear >:(
Grayson Lanier

Bunnlevel Sharker

Ok here it is, pics and a video of the handle issue

I looked closer and it says J25 on it
Grayson Lanier

harryk3616

i have no diawa reels, but i got a bunch of handles,  the pic of the handle didn't come out good, try again and i'll see if i can help you.   harryk

Alto Mare

There is a good chance your main gear threads are stripped, they're probably made out of magnesium....crap, just like the new Penn's :-\. You might be able to retap the gear, but you might need a new larger handle pivot.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bunnlevel Sharker

I think it might be that, I believe it's aluminum :-\ I'm gonna try and find one for cheap and get the gear, I like the reel it's solid except for that one gear....
Grayson Lanier

Alto Mare

Don't know anything about that reel, you're probably loading it a little too heavy. Try to go a little lighter on the line, it might save your next set.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bunnlevel Sharker

I've never used it, I found it a few years back and last night I decided to see what it was made of. I'm probably gonna load it with 12lb line and use it for kayak fishing
Grayson Lanier