Penn 9500ss basket case project before & after

Started by surfcaster, August 24, 2013, 06:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfcaster

Hi guys haven't been on in a while I recently was given a 9500ss  that was completly apart in ziplock bags most of it was there.My fishing buddy was told there was no hope for this reel. I was up for the challenge Turned out to be in decent shape (only needing a housing, 3 bearings,dogs all springs ,a handle eccentric,clicker &a bail assembley)Then i broke the rotor  trying to dissassemble the bail. all the a/r fasteners had red locktite.@#%!!
I worked a little at a time  after work to have it it ready for fishing tonite.  needed over 80$$ in parts.before giving up checked my local craigs ads & found a nice one listed as a penn spinfisher 9000.(stay in school kids) Nice brass gears too.I cleaned greased & ended up with more spare parts for the bin. as far as he is concerned I fixed his reel.Tight lines Richie

[][/img] [][/img]  [/URL]][/img]

Alto Mare

I know all about that red Loctite....crazy.
I have a couple of worthless 9500 housings with that same problem.
You got yourself a nice reel. ;) Good luck keeping your friend off of it. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

surfcaster

Tempted to keep this one Sal, After all I bought it fair & square. I'll fish it tonite if I hook up with a nice bass Might just give back that box of junk & order up a stainless Ratchet/&double dog , 950ssm drag kit & lastly put an East coast Round knob & Manual bail kit. (I get attached to my fishing gear & I already have more reels than my wife has shoes.) Never fished or repaired a 9500. My750/704/706 havn't failed me yet. Did Penn put the red loctite in? Should you heat up the screws before you take them out? The other reel is now blue greased on Everything, & Cals on the ht's. The 9500 underspool drag fits in a 750ss spool. I might have an idea for a
franken reel. Tight lines ,Richie

Cone

Richie, Great job! You told me that 9500ss has brass gears. I'd keep it if I were you. They are getting harder to find. I'll never catch up with my wife's shoes.  ;)   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

surfcaster

Already spoken for. I did manage to salvage a perfect 3pc set of "hens teeth''. Sent them to a friend in Pensacola
That hooked me up with some stainless dogs, ratchet & a handle for my 750ss project.
Tight lines, Richie

ChileRelleno

Quote from: surfcaster on August 24, 2013, 10:14:12 PM
Already spoken for. I did manage to salvage a perfect 3pc set of "hens teeth''. Sent them to a friend in Pensacola

LOL, I'm trying to find some of those 'Hens Teeth'.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."