Monofil part 2!!

Started by Jerseymic, August 24, 2013, 11:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseymic

Hope this works this time!!

The salvageable parts cleaned. The click button still needs replacing, and the knob removing from the handle arm, which is in the freezer as I have been told that if you freeze it for 24hrs it helps with removal!

Had some scrap aluminium laying around, so I made this press to remove the knob from the arm. It is not precision engineering but it works.

Knob removed.

The finished project.

The two processes which I had never attempted before were a success (click button and knob) Unfortunately I couldn't get a new 24-160 arm, so I used a 24-155 until I find one.

Alto Mare

Amazing, Mike. It might not be much to you, but it means a lot to us..... very clever ;). Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jerseymic

Hi Sal,

Thank you for your kind words, I am pleased the way it all turned out.

I was sweating a bit when I started peening the click button, hoping I wouldn't crack the plate, and when I was removing the knob I fully expected to have a handful of bits!! But all went well.

Since removing this knob, I tried another old one without freezing as a test, and it came off without any problem!

Mike.

Ron Jones

Somehow I missed round one, that is a very pretty little reel you have there. Nice job indeed.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

john2244

Bucktail

Very cool.  Great color!
Just a jig-a-lo

Bryan Young

Wow, I would have never thought about pulling the knob off to use it on a different handle arm.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jerseymic

Thanks for your positive words guys.

What we see on eBay here in the U.K. is limited, it is the only one I have seen since starting to collect last year, it was a mess as I showed in my first post, but the colour, just had to have it!!

Thanks,

Mike.

saltydog

Very nice work, that device you made gives me some ideas.
Thanks
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Jerseymic

Hi William,

I am sure someone with the skill and equipment could make something really nice.

I am a carpenter by trade, my engineering goes as far as a hacksaw, file, drill and a Dremel!!!!

I do struggle a bit with metalwork.

I have since discovered, that by using longer bolts and putting the nuts behind the backplate, and the knob behind the frontplate, it can be used to press the knob onto the new handle.

Mike.   

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Jerseymic

Thank you Shark Hunter, this restoration thing is taking me over!!! wish we had more variety available here in the U.K.

Mike.

saltydog

Once you get the bug your bit forever. ::) Now to find some more reels to work on.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

bluefish69

Quote from: saltydog on August 25, 2013, 11:51:21 PM
Once you get the bug your bit forever. ::) Now to find some more reels to work on.

I feel the same way. I just bought another 50H this morning. Why? I don't know because I have 2 already that I haven't used yet.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.