7000c over spin

Started by fishhawk, August 25, 2013, 07:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhawk

Just might be too many shims pushing spool shaft too far???

Bunnlevel Sharker

You need to "tune up" your level wind screws. You gotta kind of find the perfect balance for best distance and smoothness
Grayson Lanier

fishhawk

tune up my level wind screws?????

fishhawk

thanx wallacewt, the problem now is when I tighten left side spool cap all the way down, reel practically locks up! When I loosen spool cap it works fine??? I have 1 shim on left side and 1 shim on right side.Any idea's???

Snagged2

The RS spool axle cap should be bottomed,, tight,, the LS has an O-Ring to provide tension on the cap so that it can be adjusted anywhere it needs to be for the weight of the terminal rig.  All that with the Spool centered (shoulders exposed equally) in the frame..

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: fishhawk on August 27, 2013, 03:46:44 AM
Balance them out in a sense, you want to have them equal on both sides, or as close as you can get it
Grayson Lanier

fishhawk

right,I was just tightening down too far, all my 7000's get harder to turn, just never had to tighten one down that far and the only reason I did that was to compensate for the failure in the brake system I wasn't aware of.Go ahead youll get you'lls real tight and tell me if yours is the same

Bunnlevel Sharker

It's about the same as your saying, my penn 9s and 209s do the same thing
Grayson Lanier

Ken_D

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on August 28, 2013, 02:38:58 AM
Quote from: fishhawk on August 27, 2013, 03:46:44 AM
Balance them out in a sense, you want to have them equal on both sides, or as close as you can get it

Ah, no...the star side end cap boss has no 0-ring to hold any setting other than right down tight on the boss.
It's to be shimmed so the spool is on center in the frame, with cast adjustments taken up on the other side where the o-ring is, and the little wheel to be moved to 0 against the triangle on the end cap. The adjustment side normally has 1 or 2 shims, and the fixed side can have up to 4 shims. See Snagged2's post above.

Sidebar: Ensure that the end caps are on the correct side of the reel. The star side is shorter (not as deep) and no little triangle on it, while the other side is taller, with the little triangle on it.  Many times a sport gets them switched with results less than desireable.