7000c over spin

Started by fishhawk, August 25, 2013, 07:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhawk

I posted this earlier in the general repair area but found this might get more attention.
I have a swedish made 7000 c3 that birdnests bad in mid cast.I have re-lubed spool bearings with stp,have the large brake blocks on,am using 4 shims on left side and 3 on right side but it still back lashes bad even with spool caps tightened down! I have 6 other 7000's and havent had problems like this before.
I am throwing 3-4oz on a 12' rod with a soft tip, please help for I have lost 600 yds. of good mono this week and thats in my back yard with no wind!!
Could it possibly be a bad pawl or worm gear? I ask this because at times when reeling I hear an unfamiliar noise at times

Ron Jones

Congratulations,
You have a fantastic spinning reel. Now it is time to work on thumb control. If a spool is spinning faster than the cast is taking line out then you can slow the spool down with your thumb or throw more weight to get line to go out faster. If you want to slow down the spool you might try switching the bearing oil out for grease.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

fishhawk

well thanks,but I assure you It's not thumb control, for I am 57 years young and have been casting since???? Well way before I can recall, even with thumb pressure it will back-lash,like i prevously stated I have many more 7000's and none do this.I'm not supposed to have to wear a glove to cast this reel, something is causing the spool to turn faster than the line can travel ( 20lb test with 4 oz. weight) It starts out fine, but half way through cast it happens!!! I'm lubing spool bearings with stp and that stuff is thicker than molasses!

Ron Jones

Have you looked at the level wind? Maybe it is binding up when the cast starts to slow down.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

fishhawk

worm gear and pawl seem to be fine (no binding when reeling), and is exceptionally clean but before I spool it back up I will take it down and look at pawl and worm gear with magnifying glass.Thank-you...any other ideas?

Bunnlevel Sharker

Take the level wnd off. You don't need it. Trust me
Grayson Lanier

fishhawk

Would love too!!! was raised on a squider and 525 but because of thumb problen thats not an option, but it sure would be pretty,its a maroon 7000 c3

Fish-aholic

Have both the brake blocks and brake ring been contaminated with oil/grease? Any contamination can reduce the friction created by the brake blocks engaging with the brake ring via centrifugal force. I would give the brake blocks a solvent bath, then dip a q-tip into the same bath and give the inside of the brake ring a good clean. Also check to see if the brake blocks are sliding freely on the allocated pins. Install the brake blocks dry for best friction.

Regarding the spool tension caps; when buttoning down tight, it should eliminate any freespool capabilities the reel has (spool wont spin at all). If the tension caps are buttoned down tight on your reel, fishhawk, and it's still got good freespool, then your reel needs more shims, though, from what you've posted, if you've placed 4 shims in the left end cap and 3 in the right end cap, the added shims, combined with the buttoning down of the end caps, should surely be contacting the tip of the spools fixed axial eliminating freespool?

Personally I would be careful buttoning the end caps that tight as it can cause premature wear to the spool bearings when used to that extremity. The caps, when used correctly, should help center the spool first, then set the spool with very minimal lateral spool float (0.5mm) for best freespool. The times when you find yourself casting into a head-wind, taking out the minimal spool float should see casts being more easily controllable.  ;)

fishhawk

Thanx! I'll check brakes n plate.I also hate tighting down spool caps! When spool caps are tightened spool does not spin freely just like its supposed to be.

fishhawk

stripped it down,cleaned bearings, relubed with reel x,Did notice brakes were lookin a little shabby (rounded on one end) and one didnt want to slide freely at end.I have several odds & ends brakes (blue,red & brown) Which ones are best for heavy weight? Went back to 3 shims on left side, 2 on right.Will let you know shortly. thanx fish a holic

Snagged2

You mentioned an unfamiliar noise,,when reeling in,??,, might be a good idea to check the spool bearings.. If they're not perfect,, they can be easily replaced..

fishhawk

Thanx snag, not a bearing noise, I only hear it like 1 out 5 casts ( I am slingin again!) I think its them wore out #### brakes!

fishhawk

Hey fishaholic I be slingin again! , 70-80 yds....no prob, barely even touch the spool! spool control knob on about 4.. Them brakes been slung around a few times! Are the plastic brakes better than the old fibre? Thanx again!

fishhawk

oops! still casts well,but the noise I hear is when spool cap is tightened to 5+.Pinion? It does sound like a chatter, gets harder to real too????

wallacewt

hi fishhawk
sounds like your worm gear is bent,or at least "stuttering"
to many shims and to tight, maybe?
take level wind off and try it as was suggested earlier.
its just a matter of elimination bit by bit
slow and easy as you go
gd luck