Penn 309 spool

Started by Gulfyakr, August 25, 2013, 09:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulfyakr

Hello all, after lurking here for a year or two and learning a tremendous amount about the do's and don'ts of reel maintenance, I'm finally posting my first question.

After successfully rebuilding my Jigmaster 500 by following Alan's excellent tutorial, I forged ahead with an old 309 that had been sitting on a shelf for a long time. Stripped it down to every last spring and screw and scrubbed all the years of caked grease and grunge off of it. Reassembly went very well and the reel looks pretty good now and functions well with the exception of the spool dragging at the same spot on every rotation. It's not in the gear train, because the resistance occurs when retrieving in gear or in free spool. The spool is not rubbing on the chrome rings(or if it is, I can't hear or feel it), but rather seems to be binding in the handle side bearing. I believe the spool or the spindle is bent. Rolled it across the kitchen countertop for 20 minutes last night trying to eyeball it, then chucked one end carefully in a drill motor today. Yup, something's bent, I think the bend is nearer to the handle side of the spool spindle. I believe the spool is a 29M-309. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to disassemble this spool in order to straighten it a bit? I know I could simply replace the spool, but this reel is never going to be a collector's item, I just want to fish it. I have a friend with some machinist skills and tools and thought we might be able to bring the spool back to a workable state with a little elbow grease. Looks like perhaps there are two large nuts on either end...plated brass, it looks like. Are these indeed threaded? If so, are they standard or reverse threads? And does the spool separate from the spindle if these are removed?

Ron Jones

It sounds like you have an old 3 piece spool. These are not the strongest spools and have been known to fail where they are swagged together. I really do recommend you purchase a new aluminum spool, especially if you plan on fishing it. The aluminum spool will cast better and straightening your curent 3 piece spool is not really worth it.

It sounds like you have been bitten by the bug, congradulations on your two reel rebuilds.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Gulfyakr

Thanks for your speedy response, Ron. I know I can replace the spool for twenty or thirty bucks, but would like to take a shot at making the original spool usable, if possible. The lighter weight and increased castability of a new aluminum spool are not important to me, this reel will be used for drifting baits for king mackerel and red snapper from a kayak in the western Gulf of Mexico. Low cost, corrosion resistance, dirt tolerance, simplicity and line capacity are the most important considerations for this one. I have already been through every single other piece of this reel, so I may as well continue with the spool, if it's possible to dismantle it.   It's my nature anyway to spend hours attempting to salvage or repair various hobby gadgets that have relatively little economic value, anyway. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

Does anyone have any experience with attempting this spool disassembly?

BTW, getting the bridge assembly back into place was a little more challenging with the 309 vs. the 500, but I enjoyed comparing the two reels' constructions. And the way these things feel and sound after a thorough clean and lube is very enjoyable!  OK, is that weird?

Cone

From your criteria, it sounds like you would be better off with a 500 or 501. I wish you luck with the spool rebuild but I don't have high hopes.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Ron Jones

Not wierd at all,
Wait until you hear double stainless dogs sing against a stainless gear sleeve!! The only thing more enjoyable with your pants on is a clicker going ZIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Gulfyakr

Bob, I do own a 500s and have just purchased another 500 with a narrow spool, base, bars and a 24-155 handle...so it LOOKS like a 501 :)  (BTW, is there any difference between this reel and a 501, other than the number on the sideplate, now that the reel has been narrowed?)  Have not broken down the narrowed 500, yet, but the 500s is clean as a whistle thanks to Alan's tutorial. The 309 is to be a backup or a reel for my kids to use when we drag the yaks out a couple of miles into the Gulf. Only paid a few dollars for it and am hoping to make it a usable tool. Have a Roddy 181 for the kids/buddies, too....and a clean Sealine 50H on the shelf, too.

Ron, I think I may know what you mean...I have a Torque 200 for chasing yellowfins. I believe it has double dogs???? Have not been into that one myself, yet, but will tackle it after the inshore gear is running smoothly. I just realized that I may have too many reels. Is this possible?

Ron Jones

Quote from: Gulfyakr on August 26, 2013, 05:23:03 AM
. I just realized that I may have too many reels. Is this possible?
No it is not possible and any further mention of such a ridiculous concept around here will result in imidiate shunning, especially if the concept gets to our wives. ;D ;D
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Gulfyakr

Mum's the word, then. Glad you've set me straight on that one, no worries now.

Keta

Quote from: Gulfyakr on August 26, 2013, 05:23:03 AM
is there any difference between this reel and a 501, other than the number on the sideplate, now that the reel has been narrowed

Unless other parts have been changed no, the 501 is a 500N.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Gulfyakr on August 25, 2013, 09:30:17 PM

Looks like perhaps there are two large nuts on either end...plated brass, it looks like. Are these indeed threaded? If so, are they standard or reverse threads? And does the spool separate from the spindle if these are removed?

I don't know of anyone who has successfully disassembled a spool.  The spindle is an almost impossibly tight fit.  I destroyed one old junk spool while trying to disassemble it.   

George   
viurem lliures o morirem

saltydog

I have a 309 1 piece chrome spool if you need one just send me a PM.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Gulfyakr

Thank you, gentlemen. Saltydog, I will contact you after I have a whack at this one. George, what did you discover during your attempt to disassemble the spool? Are there threads anywhere, or are the spools only pressed together?

broschro

r the 309 and 505 gears the same ???just got a red 309 i want to hot rod for my boy Ayden.what to do ::)

Bunnlevel Sharker

Every one I've seen is pressed, they suck for my kinda fishing with reels bigger than the 209s.
Grayson Lanier

Keta

Quote from: broschro on August 27, 2013, 12:20:13 AM
r the 309 and 505 gears the same ???just got a red 309 i want to hot rod for my boy Ayden.what to do ::)

The main gear is the same as a 500 the pinion is a 13-85. 

309  Main Gear 5-500   Pinion Gear 13-85

505  Main Gear 5-505   Pinion Gear 13-505

500  Main Gear 5-500   Pinion Gear 13-500
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain