7001i binding up when reeling and freespool

Started by Beer_crafter, August 26, 2013, 02:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beer_crafter

I have a 7001i that hasn't given me any trouble until now, and frankly haven't even really been fished all that hard.

Suddenly the other day I found the reel handle rather difficult to turn, and when I flipped to freespool, the spool also didn't spin freely either.  It's not totally bound up-- I was able to even make a short cast with it, and retrieve the line, but has a variable (oscilating?) resistance.  When I turn the handle 1 full revolution, there are 4 "tight" spots but between these, the reel feels closer to normal.

I took the spool out of the reel this evening.  The first thing I noticed was that 2 of the 4 white brake blocks looked like they had ridden up on their posts, and maybe had been pinching.  I pushed the back into place, but when I put the reel back together, I found that the problem was still occurring.

It is tough to tell if the spool shaft is bent.. I hope not! I didn't do a full tear down of the reel, but the clicker and levelwind seem to be spinning freely.

I put the spool back into the handle side (the left side, remember, this is a LH reel) but left the right side off, and it seems like the reel does not have the resistance.  When I put the right side on, the resistance returns.   The resistance is there even if I have the spool end cap totally backed off.

Any ideas of things I should check out to figure this out?

Ken_D

Hi. Have you had a fish or a snag, that the reel needed to overcome with a large to max drag setting?

Is the reel still on warranty? Are both cast/end caps still plumb and square to the sideplates? Are there any deformations/dents on the plates?

Are the teeth on the idler gear in the non-crank side of the reel still true and not deformed?

When you take the spool out of the reel, tape the line, and roll it slowly across a flat surface, are both axle stubs still true, and not wobbling in a small circle?

When you remove the worm and pawl, and turn the crank, is the issue still present?

When you take both sideplates off the frame, and _gently_ twist the frame to and fro, like you were wringing out a rag, is the frame stiff and unyielding, or is it loose and wobbly? 

Ken_D

I have a character defect. I have a negative bias against folks who roll into forums, make ~one~ post, then go back into the wind, without reporting results. Most selfish, in a repair forum.

Alan/mods, feel free to delete this rant, if you determine it's inapppropriate. This clown's reel is suffering from spool swell....remove about 0.5 mm, and for obselete inch crowd: 0.01968" off the LH/RH walls, and all will be well.

alantani

it's ok.  stuff happens, even to the best of us.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Robert Janssen

I have a character defect. I have a negative bias against folks who roll into forums, make ~one~ post, then go back into the wind, without reporting results.

That isn't a defect, Ken. Or if it is, at least it is shared by me. One of my big forum peeves. Or for that matter, folks who roll in and almost demand an answer, as if it was some kind of service hotline. Like you have nothing better to do than serve up answers that maybe took you years to find.*

Oohno, fella... you go right ahead and nurture your bias.  :-)

*seldom seen at this forum, thankfully

Ken_D

Rodger that, Dr. Rob.....over at Mike's forum, I see it a lot as well. Folks tend to forget that readership of a thread is not confined to the issue generator, or the soul coming up with possibilities;

Rather more like: hey, ~I've~ got the same thing going on, here's my chance to get answers. Oh....the thread's been open for months, so I guess I do not get a solution. Bummer.