Custom handle knob for my Tank

Started by Mandelstam, August 26, 2013, 06:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

I was thinking the other day how I really love the old swirly colorful handle knobs that you see on older Penns. Small pieces of art really.

image source: http://fishingunited.com/forum/attaches/62_Penn%20knobs%20for%20various%20penn%20reels.jpg

And then I was thinking that I'd really like to have a nice swirly custom handle knob on my Tank. But bigger and longer than the stock ones are. Something like Alan's Kolekar handles.

I was thinking that you probably could make a knob from PU resin. Either cast the final shape directly or cast a bar and then use a lathe to make the final shape. The resins I looked into are really hard, in the Shore D 75-80 range. I think that it will be plenty of strong if you get the casting right. PU resin is easy to color and to make swirls of two different colors is even easier because even if you make a mistake it still looks good! :)

Today i made some quick sketches on the computer to just play around with profiles and knob design. As I don't own a lathe I have to make a original that I use to make a mold from. We have a 3d-printer at work so i can just print the 3d model when it's finished in the computer.

I wanted to keep it in the spirit of Penn but still make it unique. The first ones came out like this:

I'm going to play around with the design some more until I have something I like. I don't have a favorite yet, they still need some tweaking. Maybe I'll try a none tapered design as well to get even closer to the originals.

The knobs are now appr. 120mm long and 30-34mm wide at the widest point.

What do you think? Is this something worth pursuing? I have most of the materials to make the molds (silicone, plaster, etc) I only need to buy some resin. Then you can color it with plain acrylic artist paints. The only concern I have is how the resin will hold up. There are epoxy resins to look into as well..

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

saltydog

They would be great , especially if you wanted to keep the look of the old Penn reels. I like the two on the right side the best. Acrylic resin should hold up because it gets rock hard.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Alto Mare

Karl, I'm thinking you're a famous artist that prefers to keep a low profile :-\, you definitely have something there.
I think the second from the right and second from the left look sweet ;).
How about using Corian from DuPont:

Resistant to many things and the color is solid all the way through....easy to work with. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Are you familiar with Avonite Surfaces? It is similar to Corian.
The factory I work at makes this stuff. I can get small pieces for nothing. It comes in all different colors. It is chip filled, so it looks like granite. Other colors are solid. anything from fluorescent orange to earth tones. We make it 1/2" thick, but it can be glued together and shaped. http://www.avonitesurfaces.com/content/all-avonite-colors. We also make Wilsonart.
Life is Good!

Mandelstam

Thanks guys for the kind words!

I know about corian, we have a bunch of the stuff at work (work as an architect). And I agree, it would make an excellent material. The only problem is that you'd had to use woodworking tools which I don't have room for in our apartment...

When I was doing some google based research on the topic I stumbled upon a hobby that I didn't even know excisted.

http://www.penturners.org/

I'm also thinking of the spindle/axle construction. I've never reversed engineered some of the custom handles that are out there so I don't know whats the best approach. But I was looking at my son's skateboard wheel yesterday and looked how it was attached to the axle. And I thought to myself, if you scale that down a bit it could work!

Hey, I even think that on bigger reels a skateboard wheel would make an excellent handle knob!

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

SacFly

Amazing stuff.  I can't wait to see what you come up with.  I agree with you that the old penn handles are very cool. 

Shark Hunter

You know what!
Since I work at the factory where it is made. We actually turn this from liquid to solid. If I had a mold, I could cell cast a handle without having to shape it!
Not to rain on your parade Karl. ;)  Just thinking of ways to do this.
I would just need a way to put a mount in it to form around. We even make an impact grade of acrylic, which is used for signs. It is very tough. I think this would be more suited for this application.
I have a 9/0 handle that got the knob busted off. This would be a great place to start. Maybe clear with some swirl of color in it.
We make bookoo colors of this stuff. More than is on the link.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

That would be great Daron. Maybe Karl could rig something up for you to use, that man has an eye for great designs.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

We got it Bad!
Anything to do with reels! ;)
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

I'm a handle color addict.......the green swirly ones are my favorite.......orange is cool to ;D
Grayson Lanier

Alto Mare

I do get Corian on some of my jobs, but never get involved with it, I use certified installers.
I had a cracked knob , so I decided to give it a shot on replacing it. This stuff is very easy to work with, I'm sure Avonite would be the same.
This was done from one of those squares above, using a hand held drill freehand :

If someone need a green sample, I'm going to need to bring the reel along ;D

Mandelstam

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 27, 2013, 02:15:21 AM
I do get Corian on some of my jobs, but never get involved with it, I use certified installers.
I had a cracked knob , so I decided to give it a shot on replacing it. This stuff is very easy to work with, I'm sure Avonite would be the same.
This was done from one of those squares above, using a hand held drill freehand :

If someone need a green sample, I'm going to need to bring the reel along ;D

Looks good, Sal! You never stop to amaze me! :)

Corian can be thermoformed as well...

redsetta

Nice work Sal - you're a born innovator ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Mandelstam

So, was working away with the idea today as well.

I did two new designs, more traditional. One torpedo and one barrel. The two on the left is from yesterday.

I also spent a little time working on the mechanics. I'm not an engineer so I really don't know if this is good or bad. I wanted to make it simple and just sort of plug and play.
The idea is to bore a hole through the nob and then press fit two bearings in the center. A cap screw threads into a threaded rod on the other side and locks the inner bearing track in between.

The rod connects to the arm and is screwed down with another hex screw. In the picture it shows a cap screw but it's supposed to be a button head. I just didn't bother to model it.

Everything screwed down.

This is the whole setup with the arm I'm having cut by Keta (Lee).