Custom handle knob for my Tank

Started by Mandelstam, August 26, 2013, 06:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 04, 2013, 10:16:48 AM
Since I've been showing Alan's handles, I just want to mention that you won't find a better handle. Those are nicely put together and I'm pretty confident they won't fail you.
This isn't about improving Alan's design, that would be very hard to do.
Sal

I totally agree with you! Alan's design looks to be perfect and indestructible, just as a handle should be. And I probably will pick one up for myself as well.

This project is just to add a little bit of myself to the reel and a homage to Penn's beautiful old school handles. I probably will go with two designs, one barrel shaped (International style) and a torpedo shaped (Senator style). When the silicone molds are finished I'll start experiment with different colors. I really like the plain ivory colored knobs as well. We'll see what can be achieved.

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Cone

As if I don't have enough to do. Thanks Sal and Karl. Now I have another thing to add to the list.  ::)   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Karl, not pulling away from your thread, I'm really enjoying it.
Its worth mentioning that we should probably look into making plate with Corian or Avonite.
I have dropped these pieces numerous times and nothing happened, some bounced back, even the ones that were drilled.
I've frozen the pieces, boiled them and hit them with a torch at around 400 degree, using map gas.
The material buffs nicely, any marks come right off. these could also be laminated with invisible seams.
Daron, we could probably use Accurate plates to make molds and pour.
This stuff is very strong, what do you guys think?
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mandelstam

I say go for it! I guess Daron will have to do the casting for you, I don't think you can buy the stuff off the shelf in liquid form. If someone had a cnc router I guess you could cut it out from sheets as well.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Shark Hunter

I can send you some pieces Sal. At 1/2" thick. Its pretty heavy. What do you think? Some 3"x3" pieces?
I could send you four different colors to start. Two of each color, so they could be glued together. Leaving you with a solid 1" thick piece.
The problem with the liquid, is that its considered Hazardous material until it Hardens. If any molding is done, I have to do it at work. That is not a problem, but I don't want to transport any of it. It gets unstable above 60 degrees. The vessels that hold this stuff are cold water jacketed and under a Nitrogen Blanket. It is made in 5000 pound batches. Poured into the Casting machine continuously, It is not uncommon to run 30 batches of this material in a 24 hour period. We sell it in 30"x144" sheets for countertops. There are many other custom sizes, but this is the most common.
Life is Good!

Mandelstam

It sounds to me that it can be hard working with this stuff in smaller quantities and in smaller molds. Or what do you say Daron? Can you use it with silicone molds?

/Karl

Shark Hunter

I was thinking, They have to run a reactivity test on each batch before they run it. It is put in a small test tube and submersed in a water bath to simulate running through the machine. These would make perfect knobs. I will get on this right away.
The only problem with the Silicone molds Karl, is that when the Chemical reaction takes place and it turns from liquid to solid, It gets pretty hot.
Life is Good!

turboal

here are a few of the knobs i use

Dominick

Hey guys is any of the stuff you are experimenting with semi-soft at one point so that one can squeeze the stuff lightly to make an impression of your hand for a truly custom handle?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

surfcaster

Nice custom knobs, I may have broke one or 2  experimenting before.
But had successful results too.
probably easier for me to order, but not as much fun.

[][/img] [][/img]

Ron Jones

We need custom plates!
I have been thinking about the right material for a year. Never considered corian, but it sounds like it would work.

I think we could use custom plates to make the ultimate frankenreels. Imagine a 49 with 112H guts, or a 349 with 6/0 guts, or how about a 309 with no levelwind that uses a 99 Tib frame. The options are staggering.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Wow Ron!
I never thought of that. I can supply the material if someone can do the tooling. My company makes all the colors in 1/4" as well. I think that would be perfect for plates.
Life is Good!

Mandelstam

Quote from: Pescachaser on September 05, 2013, 06:18:52 PM
Hey guys is any of the stuff you are experimenting with semi-soft at one point so that one can squeeze the stuff lightly to make an impression of your hand for a truly custom handle?  Dominick

You can squeeze a piece of clay and make a mold from that! Corian & CO gets soft while hot but I think it's too hot to handle without gloves.

Mandelstam

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 05, 2013, 03:56:24 PM
I was thinking, They have to run a reactivity test on each batch before they run it. It is put in a small test tube and submersed in a water bath to simulate running through the machine. These would make perfect knobs. I will get on this right away.
The only problem with the Silicone molds Karl, is that when the Chemical reaction takes place and it turns from liquid to solid, It gets pretty hot.

There is silicone that can withstand heat from pewter and lead so maybe with the right stuff... The test tube sounds perfect for knobs!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 05, 2013, 02:00:57 PM
I can send you some pieces Sal. At 1/2" thick. Its pretty heavy. What do you think? Some 3"x3" pieces?
I could send you four different colors to start. Two of each color, so they could be glued together. Leaving you with a solid 1" thick piece.
The problem with the liquid, is that its considered Hazardous material until it Hardens. If any molding is done, I have to do it at work. That is not a problem, but I don't want to transport any of it. It gets unstable above 60 degrees. The vessels that hold this stuff are cold water jacketed and under a Nitrogen Blanket. It is made in 5000 pound batches. Poured into the Casting machine continuously, It is not uncommon to run 30 batches of this material in a 24 hour period. We sell it in 30"x144" sheets for countertops. There are many other custom sizes, but this is the most common.
Sending me this stuff won't help buddy, I don't have the tools or know how.
Also, I could probably get samples from the supplier with free shipping.
This will need to go to the back burner for now, unless someone is up for the challenge :-\.
after working a little with this stuff, I do believe we definitely have something here.
These should also be better than aluminum.
Thanks Daron for trying to help.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.