Bearings- Cleaned with Lubricant.

Started by SNAPPERHEAD, August 27, 2013, 03:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SNAPPERHEAD

When I have been cleaning my bearings of many of my reels during service, I have been using lubs like WD-40 with a brush and it has worked great. I just clean the extra WD-40 off of all of the parts of the bearing with a paper towel after cleaning out the grease, and its ready to be repacked.

Anyone try this?

SNAPPERHEAD

Cone

I have used WD-40 to clean things before. My problem is over time it thickens and turns to a varnish like surface on things. If I use it now its not for a lube and I clean it all off before lubing or greasing.  JMHO
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bryan Young

I use it to spin the grease out of my bearings before carb cleaner.  Works great most of the time, and the bearing is lubed for the time being.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

My bearings get cleaned with brake cleaner, spool bearings are lubed with TSI 321 and all other bearings get packed with grease.

SNAPPERHEAD

I edited what I meant to say.

SNAPPERHEAD

Bryan Young

If the bearings are good, I just use the grease packer that Alan has and just shove new grease in pushing out old grease and I'm good to go.  No need to clean bearing like you are saying. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

surfcaster

I brought a set of three rust seized bearings back to life last week with brake cleaner, wd40, more brake cleaner & blue grease.
I've been  using a  sewing needle to remove the clips on the bearing cover because it will bend before I ruin it. (i have ruined bearing shields once or twice before with other methods)
Also kind of off subject but My kids outgrown roller blades bearings fit penn 6500ss.

bluefish69

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 27, 2013, 03:28:24 PM
If the bearings are good, I just use the grease packer that Alan has and just shove new grease in pushing out old grease and I'm good to go.  No need to clean bearing like you are saying. 

That's great Bryan but Alan doesn't have any Bearing Packers in stock. I'm on the waiting list. I would enjoy using it because of the Diawa Sealine Reels that I have been doing.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

jonathan.han

I use an offset freshwater bass worm hook with with extra wide gap to remove the clip that retains the bearing shields. I also tie a piece of line with a perfection loop on it that I grab with my pinkie finger to pull on the clip to pop it out. I will post the picture of it when I can. Maybe manana.

For bearings with grease on them I like to cut it down with varying levels of viscosity before the brake cleaner. I like brake cleaner since it doesn't eat plastics as bad as carb cleaner, it's a little heavier than carb cleaner so it doesn't evaporate as fast, and it still dries clean. If the bearing has blue grese or some heavy Penn grease or Avet Inox, I use Corrosion-X and rotate the bearing a bit to mix it and cut it down. Blow out with compressed air. Then, repeat if necessary. Then go to liquid wrench or WD-40, repeat with air. Then, once it starts to spin pretty good, I shoot a little bit of brake cleaner to remove the last remnants of the liquid wrench. Works very good without trying to use a half can of brake cleaner to clean one bearing.
raw instinct