TLD 30 II MOD

Started by AJ, August 27, 2013, 03:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ

I have an OLD (made in Japan) TLD 30II I was thinking of getting a Tibron frame for and while I was at it I thought I might make it into a 20 II with a new spool, shaft and drag control lever.  Any thoughts?
Robb

Bryan Young

The TLD20II is a narrow version of the TLD30II.  So other than the frame, you will only need a new spool and spool shaft. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

There is some nice stuff you can do to these reels. It may be cheaper to buy a used 20II and then buy the Tib frame than buy the parts needed new then the frame.

I upgraded my 30II with frame, carbon fiber drag, drag plate and handle arm and knob. Here is a couple of pics of it.

AJ

It may be cheaper to buy a used 20II and then buy the Tib frame than buy the parts needed new then the frame.

Spool is $26.31
Shaft is $9.78
Drag lever is $3.15 (not sure why the drag lever is different from 30 II but different part # on Shimano web site???)
But Tib frame is $170 all in about $200. is it worth it???  Maybe, I get narrow 2 speed with topless frame.

Already has CF drags, Tani handle, etc.

Bryan Young

Maybe the drag ramp rate is different between the TLD20 versus the TLD30.  That would be my guess.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

conchydong

Might even be more economical to sell the TLD 30 and look into the getting a Tyrnos. Sometimes some really good deals can be found on these.
Just throwing out another option unless you really like your existing reel and/or want the "topless" feature with the Tib retrofit.

AJ

I have grown to like the topless reels but as you suggest selling it and getting something else might be best.
Robb

jonathan.han

Always better to upgrade than retrofit. Look at how many reels with aftermarket frames most of us have. I've got 0.
raw instinct

redsetta

To each, their own - I'm a retrofitter meself  ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

MFB

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 27, 2013, 04:45:35 PM
There is some nice stuff you can do to these reels. It may be cheaper to buy a used 20II and then buy the Tib frame than buy the parts needed new then the frame.

I upgraded my 30II with frame, carbon fiber drag, drag plate and handle arm and knob. Here is a couple of pics of it.

Nice, I have just bought a 30A & plan on doing similar upgrade, think I will use the Kolekar handle grip though. Have one on my 900H & it's a pleasure to use now.

Regards

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton