No Drag on 114H

Started by Lockwoods, March 16, 2010, 05:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lockwoods

Great site Alan.  I registered today, so I'm a newbie.  I read several posts and didn't find one that matches my situation.

My 114H is only two years old and has seen very little action and I hate the thought of tearing down an new reel.  Last week, I noticed my 114H no longer has drag - its locked in and no matter which way I spin the drag wheel, it stays locked.  I'm able to switch between free spool and fishing position just fine, but I can set the drag.  I also toyed with the clicker button to no avail.  Any suggestions?

CarolinaCustomReels

So the drag is completely locked even when you spin the drag wheel all the way off? Sounds like possibly a stuck main gear, spacer sleeve or slotted washer.

I tear all my reels down straight out of the box to grease drags, oil bearings and coat metal parts against corrosion. Go ahead and pull it apart, following Alan's rebuild tutorial. I'm betting that a half hour, a pair of pliers and a screwdriver is all you'll need to diagnose and fix the problem.

Evan
CCReels

alantani

either that, or you got water in the gear stack and it's all corroded together.  time to take it apart!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Lockwoods

That's right, I can't make the spool spin when I loosen the drag all the way.  I appreciate the advice.  I'll break'er down this weekend.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Walter_Lars

Lockwoods  when you put the reel away did you back off the drag ?

storing a penn reel with tension on the drag is not good for it
over time if the drags are left cranked down  the drag washers and the steel disc's fuse together
especial if any salt water is left in the drag stack area

Lockwoods

I did not back off the drag when storing, nor did I know storing the reel with drag tension would adversely affect it.  I appreciate the words of wisdom - lesson learned.  I will take pics and post'em.