Okuma Titus 50 2-speed

Started by triumphrick, September 02, 2013, 05:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triumphrick

This is a model Titus TG 50 W 2

Well, I am pretty bummed after spending lots of time trying to configure the small springs and parts for the two-speed mechanism...

I have a pretty good diagram I am using; and I just can't get the right combination of springs inside the control pin (part 517).

From all appearances it looks like the larger of the two springs (key 204-2) is held into place with tension on it by key 9403 "E" retainer...

It then appears the control pin (key 517-1) is held into place by compression spring (204-1) these two parts actually press together; with the other end of the spring pressing onto the control pin.

Whenever I have the assembly together and inserted into the drive gear shaft (key 701) it is too long and you can't actuate the control pin to change gears.

I have all new springs and E clips as well as a new drive gear transmission pin.

All of the tutorials already posted show none of that mechanism......I am sure if working best to leave alone!

Unfortunately, this one was not working, and new parts have yet to getme on the right track...

Maybe Jim N or any other Okuma experts can chime in.....I am all ears!

triumphrick

I am adding to some more observations...hoping for some encouragement/direction...

It seems that when assembled, the drive pin needs to be at the top of the slot in the drive gear shaft, operating the main drive gear. When the button is pushed and latched down, it then moves the drive pin to the low drive gear.

When my assembly is together, the drive pin always ends up at the bottom of the slot, driving the low drive gear.

With the collection of new parts, I just can't see a way for the drive pin to be held up in that slot..

I really need some direction as to the orientation of the two springs before mentioned in reference to the retainer clip "E"...

Anyone??

triumphrick

Found a picture of the assembly in the Cavalla 50 tutorial..

It appeared Okuma had used this same two-speed mechanism in several reels. It just took me looking some more after my last post.

I have a bench full of reels, and could not see myself spending any more time on this!

What hurt was using the schematic which clearly showed one of the springs held into place with the "E" circlip. Unfortunately, the spring is on the downside of the circlip.

If anyone else is interested, look at the Okuma diagram and you will see the spring, Key 204-2 on the upside of the circlip. If installed that way, the control pin, Key 517 will not rest in the proper position...

Looking at image 78 of the Cavalla 50W2 tutorial, you will see the orientation of the two springs and the circlip....

Having just changed the circlip and spring arrangement, I now have a working two speed mechanism in my TG 50........THANKFULLY!!