Vintage 12/0

Started by Shark Hunter, September 02, 2013, 06:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynamo

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Dynamo on September 29, 2013, 08:28:49 PM
Honestly, I'd just get rid of that 12/0, cause the counter-balanced handle means that reel is old, and the handle, drag, and spool were not the only things changed over the years. I would not trust those old gears to hold a trophy fish, but thats just me I suppose.
With a one piece spool. This reel will hold its own. I think the older gear sets are actually stronger than the newer ones with bronze main gears. I know this! ;) You can usually tell how much an old 12 was fished by the condition of the gears and the slop in the sleeve. You would be surprised. Once you upgrade the drags and spool, your set.
Life is Good!

Dynamo

Wow, ok. I have always heard that the old Senator had weaker gears. You learn something new every day! But the older 12/0's had bushings, not bearings, will you have to replace the side plate? And do all of your 12/0's have the marlin/boat decal on the left side plate? Mine doesn't.

Shark Hunter

You shouldn't believe everything you hear Dynamo. To fit a one piece spool on a reel with bushings, you have to replace at least the handle side plate with a bearing one and roll with a bushing and a bearing.
Or you can replace both.
Life is Good!

Dynamo

Thought so, thanks! By the way, I researched, and in fact it was the very earliest models with bad gears. Penn must have fixed that problem soon after. I got the info from a reliable source. By the way, do any of your Senators not have the marlin/boat decal? Cause my 12/0 doesn't

Shark Hunter

I just looked and three have the Marlin, one does not. Its not the older one either.
Life is Good!

Dynamo

I wonder if anyone else knows why some have the decal and other don't. My 6/0 and 9/0 have decals, and they are like over 50 years old. Custom painting the side plate is easier without the decal for sure, though.

Shark Hunter

I'm not sure what you mean by Decal? My side plates are etched in with this scene. The Marlin Jumping and the waves with the Boat.
Life is Good!

Dynamo

Oh, I am referring to the Sailfish/Boat decoration on the side plate. Why did some have it and some not? Perplexing, indeed.

Bunnlevel Sharker

The wear off with use and handling
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

Really?! Shucks, my side plate is just completely smooth. That's nice to know.

Shark Hunter

I think some were just made that way. The plate that is smooth, is just that, smooth. It has the Penn lettering on the bottom, Philadelphia, PA. etc. Just no scene.
Life is Good!

Dynamo

Yes, i think so too. I wonder why some didn't. Perhaps it was cheaper?

Mandelstam

I'm also interested in the different sideplate scenes that you find on older senators. Seems there isn't much documentation around. At least I haven't found anything. Seems that it could be a good way of dating a reel. Or at least date the sideplate.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea