Vintage 12/0

Started by Shark Hunter, September 02, 2013, 06:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I was going to make a parts reel into a functioning one. I realize now, this is more trouble than its worth.
It is a Vintage 12/0 with a red counterbalanced handle. I was going to turn it into a 116A.
I have a spool and crossbars, I tried to put it together and the 10/0 spool won't work with the bushing side plates. I guess the old bushing plates only work with 3 piece spools. At least on the handle side.
A set of bearing plates will cost too much to justify this project. Plus, the 116A stand is eluding me thus far.
Life is Good!

George4741

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 02, 2013, 06:06:43 PM

I was going to make a parts reel into a functioning one. I realize now, this is more trouble than its worth.
Sorry to hear this.  Now what are your plans with it?  Put it on the shelf for display only?
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

I'll keep using it for parts. It has all the guts still. I'll use the handle on another reel. I let a 12/0 spool go the other day. I should have snagged it. It went for about 40 bucks on fleabay. I could always go with the aluminum spool and spring for the new plates. Have you ever heard an aluminum spool 12/0 clicker sing? Man it is Loud! Louder than the cast spool.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

You're in a tough situation Daron. You already know I have a new  brass spool and you also know they're not cheap. I always purchase hard to get parts, even if I don't need them and yes I also have the stand for the10/0.
I wouldn't mind helping you out, but I do need to get what I paid for them.
The spool was $110 shipped to me and the stand was $45 shipped from harleerod, those are also impossible to find.

Honestly, you'll be better off buying one complete reel off ebay.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

No Situation Here Ole Buddy, ;)
Its not like I have to have that 4th, 12 or 10/0. I might need the guts someday. I will wait til I get bored with it again and try something else. I bought the stainless posts from fishing reel 079 and a couple handles, so I can send your replacement back when Lee gets the Handle Arms ready. I also purchased two 6/0 handles from the Boss. I think they look really good on Lee's Arms.
So, I had the posts and a spool, and supposedly a 10/0 stand from jdltreasures. I didn't realize the 10/0 one piece brass spool wouldn't work with the bushing side plates. Live and learn. Am I right on this?
I will probably end up putting the bearing plates and a new aluminum spool on it. Just not at the present time. I put that bearing side plate on the 12/0 that had the bushing plate I used because it had the broken clicker. When I tested it out, My Wife said, "Is it suppose to be that loud?" Those Aluminum spools really amplify that clicker. I just Grinned. ;D
You hold on to your parts Buddy. I think you have helped me out enough. ::)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

The left side of that 3-piece spool is exactly the same as the left side of the newer solid spool, the right sides are different. As I mentioned earlier, you could still make that reel work using one bushing and one bearing.
Don't worry about returning that handle, that was yours from the day I sent it to you.
Hey, now you can think of me while reeling in that monster ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bunnlevel Sharker

The cast spools clicker makes it sound kinda tinny and high pitched to me, more of a shriek when a BT hits a king bait. Now when the alum spool starts drum rolling........... :o
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

I hate the Blacktips! >:(
They are bait stealing little Devils! The first small one I hook is getting yakked out for Hammerhead Bait!
Life is Good!

Dynamo

Honestly, I'd just get rid of that 12/0, cause the counter-balanced handle means that reel is old, and the handle, drag, and spool were not the only things changed over the years. I would not trust those old gears to hold a trophy fish, but thats just me I suppose.

Alto Mare

Usually the counter-balanced handle comes on the 3-piece spools. Don't get rid of that steel gears set just yet, they might be better than anything else out there...strength wise.

Dynamo

Whoa, the reel had stainless gears?! I thought it had all original parts for some reason.

Dynamo

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 29, 2013, 08:53:25 PM
Usually the counter-balanced handle comes on the 3-piece spools. Don't get rid of that steel gears set just yet, they might be better than anything else out there...strength wise.
Thanks for clarifying!

Alto Mare

No, I said steel. The pinion should be stainless steel, the main gear is plain steel on those, a little stronger than stainless steel but prone to rust. Keeping them nicely greased should take care of that.

Dynamo

Aha, oops. That's embarrassing. Do you know when Pen switched from steel to brass?

Alto Mare

Never a need to be embarrassed here. About the gears, I'm going to guestimate mid 50's, but there are guys here that know way more than me, so maybe they'll chime in.