melted HT100 sandwich

Started by erikpowell, September 03, 2013, 11:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Hi all
ok, so a friend of mine brought me a 114H half frame and a chinese 114H2.. both cosmetically good condition outside and ok-good inside.
However, the drag stacks of each are like a grilled ham & cheese inside...
fused, stuck, melted, whatever....  only the top few washers have come off and over the last few days i've tried soaking in everything from kero, liquid wrench, wd40, and brake cleaner.... broken off the tips of my favorite picks trying to pry them out from the slots.. to no avail...
nothing budges

what are my options here? any tricks, tried and true methods?

the litebulb that's just gone off in my head as I type says "Boil it" so i'll try that next and let you know how it goes...

meanwhile would still like to hear what you guys say....

Thanks

Newell Nut

I have only worked on a couple reels that were really trashed and I soaked them in a solution of SaltX overnight and it dissolved all the salt crud.

Keta

I just had 2 GT320's that were fused by saltwater intrusion and corrosion that looked like you describe.  I put a bolt (I think it was a 1/4-28) in the gear sleeve, supported the gear and pressed the fused drag and gear off of the shaft with my hydraulic press.  Then I supported the gear and pushed the drag stack out with the press using a shaft that closely fit the hole in the gear.  The bottom CF washer was fused to the gear but came off after an over night soak in kerosene and ATF.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

erikpowell

thanks for the quick reply you guys...
i've been meaning to try that kero/atf mixture...
just started round 2 of boiling water..i'll finish that then try your solution...

Lee, if all else fails, I'll try your mechanical advantage.... stand by for results...

Alto Mare

The GT series are salt magnets, I've seen my share. I don't have any and will keep it that way.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

erikpowell

Sal, funny, I just opened GT320 yesterday that was locked up... they had a big fish on 40lb mono last week
when i opened it up, the right side of the aluminum spool had blown apart and sent the left side of the spool shaft thru a new hole in the left side plate... ;D 
Finally a reel i don't even have to clean! salvage some parts & toss the thing!  Ahhhhh   8)

Back on topic....

Lee, what's your kero/atf mix ??   1:1 ?  .... Boiling is busted.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bunnlevel Sharker

The big ones that look like oversized low pro bait casters are winches, I don't like the rest. The defiances suck to
Grayson Lanier

Cone

I've been lucky. I've always been able to get something sharp between layers and pry them out. The bottom washer has had to be scraped out before.  I'm not always gentle with things.  ;)  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD