Penn 114H 7+1 Drag Set

Started by Bryan Young, September 05, 2013, 12:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many of you would be interested in a 7+1 drag set for your Penn 114H?

Yes
17 (94.4%)
No
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: October 05, 2013, 02:34:19 AM

Alto Mare

That's what it's all about, experimenting ;). Let me warn you, experimenting is not cheap, I could have had a couple of 16/0's new from parts that I've messed up along the way. The last was my custom Tuna rod that cost me $250 used. I need to slow down with this stuff. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Yes,
I know. 33 bucks a reel just for the washers! :o
I plan on using these on a 114H and a 9/0. Maybe put a set in Chui's 9/0 gears.
Me, I've been controlling myself. This is all I have bought in the last two months. ;D

Three 12's, two 10's and two 114H's. Oh yea, The Everol 14/0 two speed, Black Pearl Gears, Lee's Awesome Stainless Steel Arms, Alan's Handles..... ;D
Life is Good!

Jerseymic

Wow, in the last 2 months, wonderful.

And I'm overjoyed by finding one 12/0 in 18 months!

Mike.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Have you cracked the everol yet?  Or tested its drag curve against the scale?  Great reel, they are solid too but definately benefit from an upgraded drag and regular servicing.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

BMITCH

Daron, what did you do with all the $$ befor joining this forum. Are the kids now submitting for student loans ;D I see the disease is progressing nicely ;) ;D
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Jerseymic

Shark Hunter

All my kids are grown Bob. My work is forcing me into a higher Tax Bracket. Its Just Terrible! ;)
Mike, I am sure some of the Sellers on Ebay will ship Internationally. If you really want something, I can ship it to you. I have a couple I could spare.
When I collect something, wether it be Guns, Reels or anything else. I have a simple rule I go by. When I don't know how many I have, that's enough! ;)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 29, 2013, 10:21:23 AM
Have you cracked the everol yet?  Or tested its drag curve against the scale?  Great reel, they are solid too but definately benefit from an upgraded drag and regular servicing.
How do you Upgrade the Drag in a Brand New Everol?
Life is Good!

Jerseymic

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 29, 2013, 08:13:37 PM
All my kids are grown Bob. My work is forcing me into a higher Tax Bracket. Its Just Terrible! ;)
Mike, I am sure some of the Sellers on Ebay will ship Internationally. If you really want something, I can ship it to you. I have a couple I could spare.
When I collect something, wether it be Guns, Reels or anything else. I have a simple rule I go by. When I don't know how many I have, that's enough! ;)

Hi Daron,

Thank you for the kind offer, I will see how the fund are in the new year, not finished renovating the bungalow yet!!

Can't push the good lady too much!

Mike.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 29, 2013, 09:46:53 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 29, 2013, 10:21:23 AM
How do you Upgrade the Drag in a Brand New Everol?

My bad.  Guess it's already upgraded :)
I guess I was wondering if the drag scale on the new ones w/Carbontex drag matched the scale on the side plate.  When I recently upgraded an older one w/ wet Carbontex the new drag performed better, but the printed scale was off.  The new ones have the same scale but different drag material so not sure how they maintained the old drag curve.  Are the new ones wet, or dry outta the factory?  Just curious.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Robert Janssen

QuoteMy bad.  Guess it's already upgraded :)
I guess I was wondering if the drag scale on the new ones w/Carbontex drag matched the scale on the side plate.  When I recently upgraded an older one w/ wet Carbontex the new drag performed better, but the printed scale was off.  The new ones have the same scale but different drag material so not sure how they maintained the old drag curve.  Are the new ones wet, or dry outta the factory?  Just curious.

Yes, the scale matches quite closely; special attention was paid to this when the change to new drag material was made. They come dry from the factory; there isn't much difference when wet.

There are a few important measurements to take into account if attempting to modify one- a deviation in thickness in one place may very well lead to a deviation in the drag scale later on, even if the scale and drag effect remain completely linear over its range. So special attention is needed there.

Shark Hunter

Well said Robert! Thank You!
Everybody wants me to crack this open. I see no reason to.
Its a brand new Everol for crying out loud! ;)
Life is Good!

Makule

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 30, 2013, 01:18:07 AM

Leave it alone.  Everol hasn't changed their design in ages (maybe a few parts here and there, but no major changes).  One can even take an old single speed, and convert it to a dual speed with parts that they provide/sell.

Is anyone seriously interested in a 14/0 single speed Everol?  A guy in a local shop has one he'll sell for $500.  I haven't taken it apart, but know that the sleeve ball bearing is shot and needs to be replaced with a bronze/brass bushing (what Everol recommends instead of a BB, and what I've done to a friend's reel).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 30, 2013, 01:18:07 AM
You ought to do a pre-use service to ensure that all screws and internal metal parts are coated with a light coat of grease to save you the hardship later on.   ::)

Then, while you are at it, you can post pics for our curious minds.  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D