Overhauling Okuma Cavalla 20II

Started by amoebasurgeon, September 07, 2013, 06:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amoebasurgeon

Hi everyone,
                I'll be picking up a new Okuma Cavalla 2 speed at a great price so I couldn't pass it up. This will be my first offshore reel and I want to keep it running for a while. I live in Oklahoma City so I don't know what I'll be fishing for.....we're not exactly known for our beaches here. However, Galveston Texas is about an 8 hour drive from here and saltwater fishing seems to be plentiful in that area. Even though the reel is in new condition, would it be a good idea to clean it out and re-lube it with quality grease? Yamaha Marine Grease seems popular on this forum. Should I also replace the drag washer with a the Carbontex washer that everyone here likes? Whenever I buy a bike, whether new or used, I always take the preemptive measure of taking it apart to clean it out and re-lube with known quality lubrication and parts if needed. Should I apply the same habit to fishing equipment?  

JGB

Pack the bearings and remove and grease all the screws!!! The screws are a fine thread that seize easily with salt.
Drag washer is fine just grease (cal's) and wipe clean. TSI the spool bearings if fly lining or grease those also.

Enjoy a decent reel if taken care of,
Jim N.

amoebasurgeon

Quote from: JGB on September 07, 2013, 07:07:13 PM
Pack the bearings and remove and grease all the screws!!! The screws are a fine thread that seize easily with salt.
Drag washer is fine just grease (cal's) and wipe clean. TSI the spool bearings if fly lining or grease those also.

Enjoy a decent reel if taken care of,
Jim N.

Thank you Jim. Where can I get TSI in the smallest amount; maybe 1 or 2 ounces? Would you recommend 301 or 321 and why? As far as the other bearings, will I have to learn how to remove the shields without damaging them? If so, is there a tutorial you can direct me? I like what boghy did with his Cavalla 50 II. It's probably a good idea for me to follow his overhaul if I want to get to know my reel.

Bunnlevel Sharker

I'm not sure the smallest amount, 321 is just the lubricant with no cleaning solvent like 301 has
Grayson Lanier

amoebasurgeon

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on September 08, 2013, 03:27:53 AM
I'm not sure the smallest amount, 321 is just the lubricant with no cleaning solvent like 301 has

Looks like 301 is the better way to go for the long haul.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fastfishin85

make sure not to put to much grease in the frame holes for the screws,i had a cavalla 15 and before reading up on it here I went ahead and heavily greased the screws and the screw holes and unfortunately when I tightened them up it caused tiny dimples to pop outta the aluminum frame

amoebasurgeon

Quote from: fastfishin85 on September 12, 2013, 11:03:50 PM
make sure not to put to much grease in the frame holes for the screws,i had a cavalla 15 and before reading up on it here I went ahead and heavily greased the screws and the screw holes and unfortunately when I tightened them up it caused tiny dimples to pop outta the aluminum frame

That sucks. What kind of grease did you use?

Bunnlevel Sharker

Just brush some yammaha grease on the screw or use corrosion x if your worried
Grayson Lanier

fastfishin85

Quote from: amoebasurgeon on September 13, 2013, 12:58:35 PM
Quote from: fastfishin85 on September 12, 2013, 11:03:50 PM

That sucks. What kind of grease did you use?
Yamaha marine grease,im sure you wont have this problem if you don't go crazy with the grease,just wanted to give ya a heads up