330 GTI

Started by sea.pacer2, March 21, 2010, 06:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sea.pacer2

Hello Everyone,

I currently have 3 of these Penn 330 GTI reels that used to get used alot.  Over the last couple of years they have just been setting around, of course with drags left loose.  When these reels were purchased they were rated pretty good, and I used them for bottom fishing, grouper and snapper. Since day 1, I have had a hard time getting the fish out of the rocks.  Since then I have have changed reels and the ratio of getting fish up has increased.  I had a buddy use them for a couple of trips and he had the same problem. So over the years, I havn't used them alot.  I think there is a problem with the drags on these reels and after doing some research, they are only capable of 16 lbs of max drag; which i believe is not enough.  The reel that I use now is not Penn and the drag is higher but not much and havn't had a problem getting big grouper and snapper to the boat. 

Since I have a few of these sitting around, what I wondering if they could be upgraded and modified for a mimium amount.  Or is it best to purchase new reels for bottom fishing?  Is anybody using smooth drags or just new OEM from Penn.

What else is everyone using and tell me his or her likes and dislikes.

Thanks,
Seapacer2

CarolinaCustomReels

SmoothDrag carries a set of carbon fiber washers for the 330GTI. They run $5.50 for the full set.

Evan

sea.pacer2

Will the fiber discs help with some of my problems?

Thanks

akfish

Smooth drag carbon fibers won't help because your reel came with almost identical drag washers, Penn HT-100s. The problem is simple: That reel was designed for 30# line. Remember that it was designed pre-spectra so what appears to be a huge line capacity really isn't -- if you use mono. The 330 and 320 have the same drag. The problem you will run into when trying to get even 16# of drag is frame torque -- and consequently ruined gears and level wind. The 330 and 320 are good reels but really shouldn't be pushed about 12# of drag.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

richie668

At the risk of offending anyone I personally would grease them up, sell them on e-bay & use the proceeds to buy reels suitable for bottom fishing.Such as  113h They fetch about the same price & the 4/0's
have way more upgrades available. Semper fi, Richie

alantani

the teeth on the 4:1 gears of the penn 320 and 330 gti/gt2's are smaller than the teeth of the penn 113h. they will deform more easily.  the penn 113h is a good choice.  stainless steel gears are better and you will find them in the penn 113hn baja special!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Whiteman

Quote from: richie668 on March 23, 2010, 03:58:55 AM
At the risk of offending anyone I personally would grease them up, sell them on e-bay & use the proceeds to buy reels suitable for bottom fishing.Such as  113h They fetch about the same price & the 4/0's
have way more upgrades available. Semper fi, Richie

That's exactly what I did (selling the GTI's on eekbay that is) as I had 3 of them that were continually breaking down when fishing for mackerel or tuna. Lost a couple of nice fish when they jammed. They were sent back to Penn a couple of times under warranty but things didn't improve.