Tekota 600 conversion?

Started by Lunker Larry, September 08, 2013, 05:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Had a friend ask me if I could convert his Tekota 600 so that the reel would engage when the handle is turned like the 600LC. The 600 has to be done manually.
Looked over the schematics and other than the addition of the clutch parts (part nr's 631 to 636) and a different right side plate, the reels are the same.
Is it doable?

Thanks
LL
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

akfish

Think very seriously about this. I've seen a few of the LC Tekotas where the spring that runs the auto engage mechanism has broken and gotten stuck in the main gear. Not pretty. But I think you can do it with only the clutch parts you list. I do not believe you need a different right side late.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bryan Young

It can be done very easily.  I have been asked by many to disengage this feature, even on the Ocea Jiggers...maybe I should have kept the parts as I normally return the parts to the customer...  Easy to add and take away...I think you will also need a new rachet as the rachet has a pin that is used to engage the spool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jonathan.han

Use the lever. It prevents malfunctions. Just like turning a handle on a spinning reel to close the bail, you are just asking for failures from the contact of the auto-trip and slamming.
raw instinct

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 09, 2013, 01:08:12 AM
It can be done very easily.  I have been asked by many to disengage this feature, even on the Ocea Jiggers...maybe I should have kept the parts as I normally return the parts to the customer...  Easy to add and take away...I think you will also need a new rachet as the rachet has a pin that is used to engage the spool.

What is the ratchet that you are referring to?
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

Bryan Young

It's located under the main gear under.  

Here's a photo from a Trini of the rachet I'm referring to.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Lunker Larry

Lunker Larry

Sent a note to Shimano Technical Help and they responded that it is doable. Parts needed are TGT0631 to TGT0636 and TGT0644.
Total cost $10.13.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Regards,

LL

Lunker Larry

Just a follow up. $8 and change for parts. Easy installation and works like a charm. Same parts for 500 and 600.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

LL